Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VFB file save VS max file save backburner workflow error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB file save VS max file save backburner workflow error?

So just upgraded from 2016 to 2018.4 on the ws and rendernodes and am running into a hopefully small issue;

Max2018 has a "save file" button under the main render button in the render dialog. I never use the 3ds max save dialog so ignored it and saved the file in the vray tab and sent it to backburner to do some testrenders on the rendernodes.
    This gave a backburner error that the rendernode "couldn't read/write file type: c:\users\....."
    - When saving only a jpg the file would be saved to the network location but backburner still gave the error and restarted.
    - When saving a vimg it would give the error at the beginning and try and restart.

The "fix" which I have found is to also use the "save file" button and just save a jpg in the corresponding network folder additional to what I save from the vray framebuffer dialog in the vray tab.

Surely this isn't the new correct workflow?! Needing to save every render from two menu's to stop a backburner error?

Had a search but couldn't find this anywhere

i just started getting this error after upgrading to "vray next update 1" I've been on Max 2018.4 with Vray next but only started getting this error after Vray Next update 1.

Backburner keeps giving me output file errors. Task error: 3dsmax adapter error : Autodesk 20.4 reported error: [V-Ray Cannot send asset "file name path" Error opening file: [PFilestream::Open] (2) The system cannot find the....

It's like it's trying to use the file i specify in my frame buffer save path as an asset before it's created. The frame buffer does save the file out but backburner treats it as an error and attempts to re-render.

I will do the same and just use the common save path as well.

Comment

Also, glad i found this thread, i've been googling for hours not finding anything similar until now. Thought it was backburner or a network issue until now....and finally realizing i had upgraded vray after my last big batch of backburner jobs and hadn't sent anything since.

*update* well crap, still getting backburner error even after adding the common save path.
      *update 2* I was using distributed rendering as well and once i disabled that, backburner didn't error out.

I'll explain the render farm setup i've been using that was working prior to Update 1

Main workstation runs backburner manager, backburner server, and i save all files to local drive.
      I just have one render node Station running DR spawner
      Last edited by sph1978; 02-01-2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Glad it's not just me, I didn't realise it had to do with next update as I did them all (2016>2018.4 & next > 1.1) at the same time. Direct DR renders (so not via backburner) work fine. I never use DR with backburner so haven't tested that.

I haven't had the chance to test it again, but I am going to try to "save" to a generic network path from the max menu and then leave it. See if that works. Really don't want to have to save a file twice as I know it will go wrong with tight deadlines / late nights / etc.

Renderfarm setup (all win10 pro):
        WS with BB manager
        4 Rendernodes with BB slave

Comment

So did some more tests.

The above works, so "saving" to a generic network location (that's readable for all the nodes) but without actually saving the file.

I also tried a couple of other files (latest projects) but didn't do anything (so no save location given besides the normal one in the vray dialog) and just accepted that no files would be saved in the pop up via the 3dsmax dialog when sending to BB. These didn't give any errors and worked fine.

Also reset the rendersettings (vray to scanline and then back to vray) but that also worked fine.

Seems it's working fine now for me.

Comment

To get DR to work with my BB jobs, I ended up disabling the "restart failed servers" option in BB Manager. The job finishes and gives me the same error code but at least VFB saves out.

Comment

Working...
            X