I hate the enu folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the enu folder

It happened so many times already but I always forget about the damn enu folder, which can totally fuck up 3ds max.
    today 3ds Max wouldn't start anymore after a crash and it took me 5 hours to find out it's because of the enu folder, which needed to be deleted again.
    I uninstalled plugins, c++, did other things and then remembered the second enu folder location, in the user app data folder. And then things went smoothly. Bare the fact that all my shortcuts are gone again, my layout is away and my modifier buttons have to be redone one more time.
    It happens so frequently and there is no easy way to backup all the individual modifications.
    I hate that folder with all my guts. What problem does it have with innocent users who just want to get their job done?

Sorry, I had to scream that out somewhere.
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

I always save a copy of that folder once I'm done setting everything up. You can overwrite it when things break. If only there was a way to save the whole ui and all scripts in a file that can also be used for migrating to another max version.
    German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

yeah, I have that too, but sometimes that breaks 3ds max again. So began to save everything separetely. You cant save the modifier buttons though and, yes, bringing all the scripts back together is a pain too.
      This software needs an overhaul..
      I am using version 2015 btw and I dont think anything changed until now.. it is frustrating. makes me want to switch..but .. you know
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

I would say Max 2020 is a lot more stable and it has some really nice and new features. But I have to concur that user workspaces are not saved reliably and max still loses everything every couple month - usually when opening or closing more than one max at the same time.
        https://www.instagram.com/bildform.de/

Comment

There you go.
          and I usually work on multiple projects or just have a second copy of max open so I can quickly continue when vray gpu crashes (which happens very frequently)
          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Max saves the UI when you close it. So, if you kill it while it closes it will likely destroy itself.
            Last edited by Ihno; 22-07-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

AD must know that it's an issue because 9 out of 10 times, their solution is to delete the ENU folder.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

AD knows about it, there is even a bug thread about it. A developer answered and just said, wait when you close max one after another. They did not seem to have considered that people would open more than one max.
                https://www.instagram.com/bildform.de/

Comment

I stopped opening more than one session a while back. I think it broke in one version, so I just avoid it all together still. I know the copy/paste scripts stopped working with more than one MAX session open.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com
                  e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                  phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                  • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I guess I need a second and third pc to solve this ongoing problem
                    www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

I feel your pain... Intensley!

I had fewer problems with the old ENU folder, MaxStart files, UI and shortcuts back in the day. All my troubles or rather major troubles begin whenever the first UI revamp / high res monitor / new icons / Maya color scheme happened. It's better now BUT, I basically recreate my UI semi from scratch.

I'll start the latest version of Max, save a new fresh Max start, then one by one import, keyboard shortcuts, quad menus, custom color scheme etc. saving new versions of the MaxStart and Custom UI first, then immediately reserving the UI which points you to the default Max CUI file and save that otherwise tons of settings won't stick.

This annoying, round about, painful method has finally begun to work for me the past two versions of Max but dang it's the antithesis of straight forward.

Should be a single UI File with everything but alas I feel like I'm back in old AutoCAD land juggling million config files every time a new version of Max is out. Sigh...

Comment

I wonder if somebody wouldnt be able to write a tool for that.
                        ^Lele^ ?
                        www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
                          I wonder if somebody wouldnt be able to write a tool for that.
                          ^Lele^ ?
                          Ahah, you'd like to see me burn, eh? :P
                          It'd be quite a dangerous (not to mention overly long and tedious, and hard to maintain and customise) thing to do through scripting.
                          We can hope it'll get sorted natively, though.
                          The AD Max team reads us.
                          Lele
                          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                          ----------------------
                          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

It will never happen.
                            Unless AD will completely rewrite 3ds max, which would be long overdue but would have so many rattrails they wouldnt know where to begin.
                            www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

It would probably take 10 years and eat all resources... They try at least, the workspaces are saveable that way you can save your UI to a single file (not the scripts, though).
                              But might not work between versions I don't know. I'm curious if any other 3d app can migrate all scripts and the whole UI reliably between versions. Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                              X