Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving Adobe for Affinity - what are your experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving Adobe for Affinity - what are your experiences?

I am thinking about switching to Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher + DaVinci Resolve (for PR and AE).

Who here left Adobe behind and can talk about the experience? What worked, what did not? What do I have to look out for? Which plugins are working?
    For example, there is still no DWG import in Designer, which I am using sometimes.
    https://www.instagram.com/bildform.de/

I picked up Affinity Photo and Designer for home but in the studio we heavily rely upon the ArionFX plugin for 32-bit exr tone-mapping which isn't currently supported in Affinity unfortunately. If and when that happens then we will likely consider a full switch.

Comment

Affinity is great, but unfortunately a bit slower than PS. But It has some nice features. Like being able to have a stack on the mask channel of a layer!
      Unfortunately there is no exr-io plugin for Affinity and since they didn't release a SDK, there won't be one in the near future. So no cryptomatte.
      You can open exr's of course and everything in affinity is working nicely in 32bit which is a huuge advantage.
      If you do lots of real photography post work you'll miss Lightroom.

DaVninci and/or Fusion are great and there is no reason to stick to Adobe there! Hands down, node based compositing is the way to go for 3d stuff. Once you picked it up, you'll never look back.
      But buy Fusion also, the integrated version isn't where it needs to be yet imo.
      Last edited by Ihno; 01-08-2019, 10:41 AM.
      German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

I am using ArionFX, too. But It did not seem to work well with the last Adobe CC versions, so I did use bloom and glare with V-ray a lot more. I would not really miss ArionFX that much.

I will keep testing ArionFX.
        https://www.instagram.com/bildform.de/

Comment

Yup. We've been trying out Affinity.

Pros
          - 32bit mode with none of limitations you have in in PS
          - Tone mapping mode is pretty good
          - Non destructive live filter adjustment layers (clarity etc. No need to jump into a tone mapping mode ala Camera raw PS)
          - This is it really.

Cons
          - Very clunky UI
          - Very slow/laggy with larger files (especially 32bit documents)
          - No smooth zoom in/out
          - Keyboard shortcuts sometimes don't work
          - Masks sometimes do not update
          - Perspective tool is awful, generally not a fan on AP transform tools actually
          - Layer system is odd (for example I've found you can't just create an empty folder, you first have to create a pixel layer then create a folder)
          - Crashes a lot more than PS
          - Restore files sometimes do no restore correctly
          - Advertises that it can open PS files. It can, but the colors are implemented differently.

Yikes. Sounds bad actually going through it like that, but I'm prepared to forgive its failings in support of its 32bit mode. If it didn't have this I wouldn't bother with it.

It has DEFINITELY improved with patches as time has gone on though. I'm just hoping the devs can give it more oompfff.

Last edited by DanSHP; 01-08-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X