License and Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License and Insurance

Any of you guys carry it? I have a client ready to sign but has requested my license and insurance. I told them that I don't have either and I have not heard back from them. I have heard of this happening to someone else awhile back, but just the once. Back then I did call my insurance agent and he said that they wouldn't offer it and he doesn't know who would.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

What kind of license and what kind of insurance? Maybe provide your drivers license and health insurance?

I have a business license which is required by the town I live in, but I could probably get by without. Not sure what other license would be available for me to have. Architects have licenses, I think.

Insurance, who knows. Engineers and others have errors and omissions insurance and probably some level of liability insurance but I am not sure that’s available for architectural illustrators.
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

No, my driver's license and health insurance aren't what they were after . Oh, I can get a business license, but there really isn't a reason too and like I said, my insurance guy said that there isn't an applicable policy for what I do; nothing to insure. My homeowners covers my hardware.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OPEN_RANGE View Post
        I have a business license which is required by the town I live in, but I could probably get by without.
        What kind of business license? I searched my state and I see nothing that applies to me.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I'm sure there would be some things you do which require insurance.

Years ago I did sun-study imagery for a large firm of architects - needed insurance for that (Professional Indemnity Insurance I think it was called).

Maybe you might need insurance to cover you for "hey, my newly built house doesn't look anything like you showed it would" type crap ?

Jez

------------------------------------
          3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
          Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
          ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Like I said, I spoke with my American Family agent and he said that he doesn't see any policy that would be applicable. I'll look into the "Professional Indemnity Insurance"
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

But what happens if one of your clients try to sue you for whatever reason? Are you going to pay the legal costs yourself? Surely that risk alone is worth insurance? As well as what's mentioned by the other posters.

Comment

I have no problem purchasing insurance, however, my agent said there isn't an applicable policy. Plus, I do have a contract. I'll inquire again this week. BTW... It seems to be a state-by-state thing here in the states.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                  What kind of business license? I searched my state and I see nothing that applies to me.
                  As I said it’s a town business license. Required for all businesses, even those who vrbo their homes.

If your concerned about it look into errors and omissions insurance. Carried by engineers and maybe architects. Or possibly contractors or sub contractor general liability.

There may may be some exposure to a client who drags you into their problem with an “it doesn’t look like the rendering” issue. I do a fair amount of renderings that go before review boards for project approval. A considerable amount is within a national historic landmark district. I have never faced the problem but I make effort to ensure accuracy, especially involving background/surrounding context photo matching.I have see project opponents present wildly inaccurate and inflammatory “renderings” to try and get projects stopped or modified. I’ve been asked/paid to attend review board meetings and present on how the renderings were created and camera matched in regards to accuracy. There is no consistent set of rules for verifying accuracy.

Maybe not a bad idea to add a general disclaimer regarding accuracy to proposals. “Not responsible if final construction varies from renderings.” This whole issue opens up a pretty big can of worms.
                  Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 28-07-2019, 05:01 PM.
                  mark f.
                  openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

I guess if I am blamed for missing a deadline, that can be trouble and warrant insurance.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

they're used to working with contractors who work on site and carry various licenses for their trade along with a general liability policy that covers any accidents incurred on site..... none of this applies to you and that's all you have to tell them. if you were to need to visit the site, you would likely be joined by owner/management which typically insures some type of umbrella coverage or you'll be asked to sign a liability waiver - depending how anal they are..... unless you're going to be shooting high end aerial footage via helicopter or drone - in which case the pilot carries FAA license and insurance for aircraft/equipment....

Comment

Yes, that's how I see it and that basically was my reply to their request. I sent my W9, which is the third things they asked for. I haven't heard back from them; I'll follow up at the end of the week if I don't hear from them first.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Just got a reply.

"Unfortunately I don’t think we can issue any checks without a business license or COI. Trying to see if I can get around this policy but have not been allowed to do so thus far. Sorry for the mixup."
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I ended up getting general liability for $800 a year and there are 1 federal and 2 state licenses that I can get, which I am applying for. The funny part is before I even sent him my certification of insurance he emailed me telling me his CEO is okay to proceed without insurance and licenses, however, they don't pay deposits. That, I told him, is not negotiable on my side. I told him I don't start work without a 50% deposit unless it is a larger project, at which time I can split things up into thirds or quarters; however his project doesn't qualify for that.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I got an email and the 50% deposit isn't an issue and the project is a go. See guys, act like you don't need the job! If I would have folded they would have probably thought I was not a professional and lost confidence.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X