Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advice on cloud based backup system,

Hi,
    have 4 computers in office and lookng to run a cloud based backup on them, most of them have 2 HD's with partitions., running win 7 and 10.
    Any advice appreciated,
    thanks
    Tom
    Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

I use Carbonite, seems ok, but it doesnt do external hd's
    e: info@adriandenne.com
    w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

We use Dropbox business. Depends how much space you need really.

Comment

move your email to Gmail business and you get unlimited storage I think...there is an app to create a local drive for a Gdrive business... if you have multiple users from the dashboard you can set up access privileges for them.
        show me the money!!

Comment

Concerning G Suite business : you get unlimited storage only if you have 5 users or more. Otherwise it’s 1 TB per user.

mekene

Comment

I use Carbonite and you can backup external drives. I have been using it for years, but it is slower than molasses. When I reboot and my drive needs to be unlocked, Carbonite gives me errors about files being deleted after 30 days. Well, I unlock my drive every time I reboot, but Carbonite still deleted all my files. I am backing up again and after 6 months, I am 1/2 way backed up. I have 4.4TB of data, so it'll take a year to back it up again.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

If you get yourself a NAS (QNAP are one of many brands, but they have pretty good s/w) set-up a RAID (1+0 is a good combi of speed vs redundancy - 4 drives required), use this to back up your local machines, using Qsync (basic folder mirror to you NAS), you can then use a USB drive to make a daily backup of the NAS. Use 2 USB drives for daily rotation, taking one off-site every other day.
              You can then use one of the many HybridBackup Sync services native to QNAP to connect to any of the myriad cloud platforms; Amazon, OneDrive, Google, etc. etc to backup your data to the cloud.
              You need to be aware the cloud backup is ridiculously slow, as Bobby mentioned, even with a fast upload connection. Most backup s/w doesn't just "file transfer" the data up a pipe, but: SEND, AUTHENTICATE, VERIFY, CONFIRM,VERIFY THE CONFIRMATION, SEND SOME MORE, REPEAT, FOR EVERY PACKET!!! takes forever. Gigabytes of data will take all night, or longer.
              Which is why local to your NAS is much quicker. And the backup of your backup is always a good idea.
              Maybe more info than you needed but the "BACKUP" well, goes deep...very deep. :¬)
              Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
              I need a new signature
              --
              Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
              ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070Ti

Comment

Working...
              X