Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray zdepth and animation help

Hi all,

I've just started playing with animation. I've rendered out a few low res tests to try and get the workflow down. I've got stuck at DOF in post. I'm using lenscare. After reading the forums, I have turned off filtering for the render element and have also tried rendering out the zdepth at 2x the res. However, I still get these rough edges which make the object look like it's got bloom.

Hoping for some help on this.
    Many Thanks

Does the issue occur when creating a DOF effect via a Defocus node?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I'll check that, but from what I can see it is accurate to the depth pass. It looks like the zdepth is 1 pixel smaller than the beauty, I assume this is because of the lack of filtering, but how would I fix that?

Comment

The artifacts may be produced by the anti-aliasing from the image filtering (it is not smaller, the value is very low). Disabling the filtering from the render element options should produce a non-antialiased Z-depth channel; you may also create a similar result by disabling the image filter and setting the bucket sampler to min subdivs 1/disabled max subdivs. You may also try merging the channel with a white constant (i.e. 30/30/30) inside Nuke to further increase the depth of the image. If the issue persists, it would be best to send us the composition, so we can have an in-depth look.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

The filtering is disabled in the render elements. I have also tried a double res test of the z-depth also unfiltered. Still the problem remains.

It seems like the lack of aliasing is causing the problem. The bloomy pixels are part of the beauty that has antialiasing, with the z-depth not having filtering, it seems to be seeing those pixels as background, rather than foreground.

Comment

Working...
          X