Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 7 poly problem

Hey guys,

I have posted this a few other places but I thought I would try here too...

I'm having a bit of a problem with max 7. Lets say I create a rectangle then un-check the "start new shape" box, I then draw 3 more rectangles inside the larger rectangle and extrude it. The result is clean geometry as expected with no extra edges but as soon as I convert the shape to an editable poly extra edges appear across some of the faces that can't be removed! Does anyone have a solution to this? I'm sure it didn't happen in older versions of Max.

Craig

can you reproduce it again and again? Ive tried here and while Ive seen hit happen previously I cant make it happen today.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Example Image http://www.scriptspot.com/ftp/vray/ExtraEdges.jpg

Those extra edges are there because max displays them the way they are calculated instead of hiding them (which it probably should because we're artists not engineers)...

Editable Poly's use "winged edges" (a method of representing polygons) which call for these new edges to be created at every hole in the mesh... At least that's my understanding of it. There is no way as of max 7sp1 to turn off those edges unless you add a turn to mesh modifier or collapse the object to an editable mesh.

Hopefully they will add the intelligence for epoly's to automatically hide those ugly lines from us in the future but for the time being, you're not doing anything wrong or anything, it's just max displaying things the way it thinks they should be...

(EDIT) if you really want to get nerdy, you can do a google search for "winged edges" and see what's going on. I found this page http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/COURSES.../winged-e.html via google that at the bottom explains fairly simply what's going on when max adds that seemingly unnecessary edge.
      Christopher Grant
      Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
      Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

Comment

dont forget that also when you create rectangles and convert to editable spline your vertex are bezier curves so its always good to go in and select all vertext then change them to corner

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
          can you reproduce it again and again? Ive tried here and while Ive seen hit happen previously I cant make it happen today.
          Really? It happens every time I try it... Are you using Max or Viz? And what version?

Comment

Originally posted by cgrant3d
            Example Image http://www.scriptspot.com/ftp/vray/ExtraEdges.jpg

Those extra edges are there because max displays them the way they are calculated instead of hiding them (which it probably should because we're artists not engineers)...

Editable Poly's use "winged edges" (a method of representing polygons) which call for these new edges to be created at every hole in the mesh... At least that's my understanding of it. There is no way as of max 7sp1 to turn off those edges unless you add a turn to mesh modifier or collapse the object to an editable mesh.

Hopefully they will add the intelligence for epoly's to automatically hide those ugly lines from us in the future but for the time being, you're not doing anything wrong or anything, it's just max displaying things the way it thinks they should be...

(EDIT) if you really want to get nerdy, you can do a google search for "winged edges" and see what's going on. I found this page http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/COURSES.../winged-e.html via google that at the bottom explains fairly simply what's going on when max adds that seemingly unnecessary edge.
            Thanks for the explanation I'm almost 100% positive this didn't happen before. I'm seriously considering changing to another modeling program until Max gets sorted out

Comment

is there a reason why you would want to get rid of them. its not like they are visable during a render. so who gives a crap what their mesh looks like in the viewport. its the render that counts. in that scriptspot example i would have taken each hole and added a single link to the corners of the main shape rather than link the holes together. then i would do a quick re-triangulate on it and not bother with it again.

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
                is there a reason why you would want to get rid of them. its not like they are visable during a render. so who gives a crap what their mesh looks like in the viewport. its the render that counts. in that scriptspot example i would have taken each hole and added a single link to the corners of the main shape rather than link the holes together. then i would do a quick re-triangulate on it and not bother with it again.
                Hmmm im not sure I understand your method

Its not that I care what the mesh looks like in the viewport... my point is that say you highlighted the edges of the holes in the scriptspot example and you wanted to apply a chamfer to them, the edges wouldnt bevel properly due to those pesky extra edges. Try it, you will see what I mean.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
                  Because every time I see some funky diagonal line in the viewport that just doesn't belong there my left eye starts to twitch, and my right hand follows with these spasms so I can't work at all... ... ... Ok, so mostly for me it's just an aesthetic thing, but the extra edge does get in the way when I'm modelling as I have to click around it or deselect it from the edges I want to work with. It's not a huge problem for me but it is a small annoyance.
                  Christopher Grant
                  Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
                  Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

Comment

i would try to get some regular structure in the model - so try to subdivide the border edges into quads
                    currently you have a lot of hidden edges that form non-quad polys - which in theory is a bad thing (try to meshsmooth the model to see what i mean...)

similar object to yours, with and without quad-polystructure
                    (the one without visible edges was created by extruding a spline and shows none of your problems)

http://home.arcor.de/mike.edel/quad_vs_nonquad.png

instanced meshsmooth modifier on both models
                    http://home.arcor.de/mike.edel/smoothed.png

btw: http://www.scriptspot.com/download.asp?ID=2432&inf=1
                    cs poly tools has a tool caled cs_dissolve which can delete those problematic edges in the poly i think

Comment

this happens when modeling with splines. nature of the beast.
                      There are a two things I would suggest. One, the shape you are trying to make could be made with a plane object and Meshtools much cleaner.
                      If you want to stick with splines, you could convert to Editable mesh, hide the edges using the "Invisable" Toggle....and switch back to editable poly....easy...
                      Two heads are better than one ...
                      ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
                      X