X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autodesk changing licenses again.

https://autodesk.wistia.com/medias/arbfk2qjss

show me the money!!

Hmmm... the end-user has a need for a license like this, no? Part-time users don't need access 100% of the time, which was the purpose of the network license, no? I managed a department that has a dozen architects who needed access once in a while, so we had three seats. Now they'll need a seat for each part-time person. Am I missing something?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

it has us scratching our heads too, its not just Max that is affected. Its a worry especially when you have 100's of seats of Adesk products.

Comment

It is about time people look for alternatives. The last place I worked and managed, we were paying about $30,000 a year for AD software. This will easly triple that number and we felt we were already paying too much.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Next year the end of maintenance plan...Sooner than I expected after they "expired" perpetual licences.
          https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/subsc...t/td-p/9334704
          Best Regards

Tomek

Portfolio: http://dtown.pl/

Comment

Well, then the next few years will be cheap. Generally I use a Max version 3-4 years, so will save at least 5K until I need a new version on subscription .... and hope by then I can do all rendering in Unreal .... something I hope EVERYBODY will move to!!!!

My ROI on Max has always been great, but looking at the future, Max is a dinosaur and Autodesk is showing nothing that will change that.

It is just the same as with my first iPad....it was bloody fast when I bought it, but because of all the OS updates it just got bloody slow (not because of features and certainly not because of the battery ....got a new one recently). So each few years they get you hooked on a new one
            Last edited by trick; 25-02-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

They might pull the plug on all maintenance and make subscription mandatory automatic, effective immediately. If you want to keep it, you have to convert to subscription in May. How would that be received?
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                ...If you want to keep it, you have to convert to subscription in May....
                With a perpetual license that would legally not be possible. But: sure....they can always cancel renewals at all time.

Comment

https://youtu.be/cL4_pKFnYTw

One more thing from Autodesk
                  show me the money!!

Comment

I called my Autodesk dealer to see my options. I'm still paying maintenance and I was planning to extend it as much as possible but it looks like this year is the apocalypse. I have to switch before May 7 or I will pay 20% more. Extortion as the same fashion as the Mafia.
                    I already requested quotes for ArchiCAD;For renderings I'm going to use Lumion and for the high-end one Vray/Corona with something else....I was planing to do that anyways... Would see how much money I would have to pay before May 7 of this year.
                    show me the money!!

Comment

You dont need a seat per User. You can switch users in the online App. The issue is someone needs todo that by hand?
                      https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
                      Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

Originally posted by oglu View Post
                        You dont need a seat per User. You can switch users in the online App. The issue is someone needs todo that by hand?
                        I see my user name in the upper right of my MAX session. I suppose if I have another account I can swap over to that account, but that account will still need a license. All you would do is have a shared account, which is what network license is. I don't get it.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It works like this.
                          Your Studio does have 4 Autodesk lics.
                          Those four Accounts are linked to the email of Peter, Hans, Joe and Marry.
                          If an other Artist needs a License the Admin can transfer the License from Hans to Samuel.
                          Now Hans cant work anymore.

This does work fine if you dont need to switch serveral times a Day. Think thats the main reason Autodesk is goin the direction.
                          And im sure this way they can track the users.

Last edited by oglu; 26-02-2020, 04:17 AM.
                          https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
                          Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

We already have this system. Don't have to share licenses so isn't an issue. But if you did you would need to set up a "generic" user account so staff can sort it out between themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by oglu View Post
                              It works like this.
                              Your Studio does have 4 Autodesk lics.
                              Those four Accounts are linked to the email of Peter, Hans, Joe and Marry.
                              If an other Artist needs a License the Admin can transfer the License from Hans to Samuel.
                              Now Hans cant work anymore.

This does work fine if you dont need to switch serveral times a Day. Think thats the main reason Autodesk is goin the direction.
                              And im sure this way they can track the users.

they track "generic" info as to when a max session is started, how long its in use and a few other bit and pieces. They claim not to track any project of personal info.

Comment

Working...
                              X