new windows 10 workstation, laggy max interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new windows 10 workstation, laggy max interface

im on max 2018.. my new monster 3990x 128gb workstation with windows 10 has some odd behaviour.

coming from a 6 core machine with windows 7 its generally an enormous step up.

however some things are inexplicably much slower.

hit button to open render dialogue, wait 10-12 seconds for it to open.

click dropdown to open modifier list, wait 5 -10 seconds for it to respond. (it responds quicker the next time, until i select a diff object.)

there are a couple of others but those are the two most annoying ones.

any tips?

I notice these things also. It's very very irritating but sadly I have no idea what would cause it. These things happened and I couldn't at the time remember what I'd done recently in order to pinpoint the change.
    I am on 20 so it's not the version...
    Let me know if you find a culprit
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Any update on performance or a solution? It's been like this for me for ages on a dual Xeon, maybe not quite as bad but same general lagginess. Is it also slow to selecting camera and lights when the modifier panel is active (this is usually in a full scene not a new one).?
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

nope, so far ive just got you two agreeing with me but no solutions anywhere. i suspect its windows 10. same version of max was generally speedy on a far lesser pc under windows 7. i also generally find the machine has more "freezes" than id expect.. cancel a render on a heavy file, machine sometimes becomes unresponsive for 10-30 seconds, to the point of the mouse freezing. rendering and photoshop sometimes locks up for periods, even if i have the render on "low thread priority" something that would have worked fine on my old machine.

i cant believe a machine with 10 times the cores, 2x the ram, 4x the ssd speed and only 200mhz less clock speed could be causing the issues. software is more or less the same, so.. windows maybe is the cause.
        Last edited by super gnu; 06-05-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I really wish we could figure out what's causing this. I too get a lot more temporary freezes than I'd expect. I have no idea where it's hanging either: cpu is bascially at idle, memory is nowhere near full, video card is not using maxed out on memory either. It just is unresponsive. Is there anything out there besides task manager or process explorer to see where these hangups might be occurring on a system level?
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

no idea, this is my first month with my new machine and win10, and im flat out working, so no time to bug hunt.. hence asking here

Comment

I have been running into this problem as well. And it is not on every windows 10 machine I have used 3ds max on.
              The viewport is snappy and everything works fine but anything related to the interface has this weird delay that feels like the hard drive has to load in the data but the software is installed on an SSD and 3ds is literally the only program on that machine that has that issue.
              Sadly after over half a year I have gotten used to the performance dip on that machine and it never went away despite countless windows updates, gpu driver updates etc. It's weird.
              Cheers,
              Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Not AMD user here, but until recently was using 3ds max 2018, with most recent service packs, or whatever they call it now. Using Vray less and less but experienced similar issues as You described it.
                Can share the following:

1. 3ds max 2018 user interface lags more than 3ds max 2020, especially when you expand the right side panels to 2 or more vertical columns. The issue becomes even more apparent when swtiching between vertecies, edges, faces...It takes about 2-4 seconds in heavy scenes. The solution found pointed to using Edit Poly modifier on top of Editable Poly object. Issue is still there, but at least things happen much quicker.

2. Render dialog is bit broken as well, regardless of render engine - experience the very same either slow or not showing " Render Settings" when press the corresponding button. Even within 3ds max 2020 it feels like the same issue is out there. Have learned to live with it for the past 4 years.

3. There is a serious slowdown due to the Windows Defender policy, especially when using NAS or Network Server. I believe there has been a big discussion on this forum as well about the proper settings within Windows Defender.
                In the nutshell - main culprits are Control Flow Guard and Real-time Protection. I have personally disabled completely the first one, despite the workaround to exclude programs.

4. Beware of the latest Windows 10 updates. I have had my machine running quite stable and relatively quick for the obsolate CPU, but after having only one of the following KB4535996, KB4540673 and KB4551762 updates installed, I felt like using AMD K6 - II back in the days. Not sure which of these numbers installs, as they seem to differ from country to country. In my case I got KB4535996 installed and once uninstalled - back to "normal" mode.

5. Using 3dconnexion mouse with latest drivers might cause some trouble, slowdown, random switch between perspective and camera mode. Had to revert back to drivers prior to version 11.

The typicall suggestions about Bios, Drivers and so on are always an option.

Hope any of these help.

Comment

Vlado is running a 3990 also. Perhaps he could share his experience with it.

Vlado?
                  Martin
                  http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Same issue here. I'm almost certain that this is due to the way the interface in Max is implemented/coded. Autodesk seem to be not bothered at all to fix this huge issue which has been known for YEARS. The interface slowdowns and bugs are easily one of the top things I hate about 3ds Max.
                    Aleksandar Mitov
                    www.renarvisuals.com
                    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
                    64GB DDR5
                    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Same here and I just learned to be patient with MAX. I treat it like an old car that starts but doesn't run very well.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com
                      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Same here
                        OLIKA
                        www.olika.de

Comment

Same issues here. Was thinking about upgrading from dual xeon's to threadripper purely for day-to-day 3d max stuff. So not even for rendering speed. But spending 4k€ just to have the same issues would be a waste of money.....

Annoyingly my old amd 8350fx (4ghz) at home seems to be just as fast if not faster for the basic user interface/modeling.

The control flow windows setting has done nothing irt nas/server speeds for me.

Ive noticed the heavier the scene the longer max hangs on single core processes. General delays with light scenes have been less obvious on my pc (gtx1080) but are more present on my colleagues pc with (gtx1060). The rest of the specs are the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X