mixed AMD and Intel ??..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixed AMD and Intel ??..

A render farm with Athlon's and xeon's with max could be work?..
    or there are compatibility problems?..

thanks in advance!..
    www.goo-d.com
    >creating in greece<

in the past people have reported slight differences between renders from the intels and the amds. Not sure if its still the case but I wouldn't be surprised.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Hi;

When I used to use Softimage on SGI's and NT's there were certainly differences - slight, but enough to make difference passes useless. We did a test rendering the same frame on each with Mental Ray, and imported them into Photoshop - then lay one on top of the other and switch to difference comp mode. If you get true black, both frames are identical. If you don't, they are different.

We bought a large Intel Renderfarm at work, and we had 5-6 additional AMD boxes (I think Athlons), as well as P3's and P4's and I was concerned again about this so I ran a few tests. All frames rendered from each chip came out identical when we put them through the difference pass. Of course, there may be differences that arise in other cases but so far it seems that we have successfully mixed AMD's and Intels for rendering.

Whenever possible, I still prefer to assign a job to just one batch of processors.

-Richard
      Richard Rosenman
      Creative Director
      http://www.hatchstudios.com
      http://www.richardrosenman.com

Comment

We have a mix of AMD and Intel here and no noticeable differences so far.

-dave
        Cheers,
        -dave
        ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

i remember some reports of different frames after discreet enabled some pentium 4 specific optimizations (those were more accurate and caused different renderings)
          this was max 4.25/4.26

some expected differences are described in the readme:
          ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/...smax_42sp1.htm

"
          o Raytrace materials can exhibit differences in edge antialiasing along object edges. These differences are generally not noticeable in single images unless compared pixel-by-pixel in a zoomed format.

o Cellular maps render slightly differently. These differences are generally not noticeable in single images unless compared pixel-by-pixel in a zoomed format.

o Reflection and Refraction maps with Bump maps render slightly differently. Most noticeable of these is the Thin Wall Refraction map. These differences are generally not noticeable in single images unless compared pixel-by-pixel in a zoomed format.
          "

those seem to be connected to the intel compiler used for that update

Comment

Ok, thank you !!
            www.goo-d.com
            >creating in greece<

Comment

Back in the day particles could be a challenge (flickering, but we haven't seen any of that lately, but we only have one intel box in production to run our Velocity....
              Two heads are better than one ...
              ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
              X