Whatever you guys did...YAY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever you guys did...YAY!!!

As the title suggests....I have no idea what you may have tweaked but since this hotfix the render dialogue no longer takes aaaaages to open; it's almost instant again!
    Please don't let me have jinxed it by posting this......
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

The render dialog sluggishness always seemed to be at least in large part due to a license check. When we dedicated a machine as the license server and stopped rendering with that machine the delay reduced significantly.

I will have to pay close attention to it since we installed the hotfix (our hotdog if autocorrect had its way).

I do know all the UI stuff in Max got a lot faster with 2021 vs prior versions, especially complex settings with lots of rollsOuts (like Phoenix FD) now display much faster. Still way too slow given the speed of modern hardware, but faster than they were.

Comment

Oh, well that is interesting; it'll be moreso to see if your thinking is correct. Seems odd that if we have a license that it still continues to check all the time, thus causing that slowdown.
      Not that I can have that setup but still...
      https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

I have not checked lately because we have had the dedicated licensing server for a while now, but in VRay 3 rendering on the license server would slow it down a lot, especially if it ran out of memory and started to swap to disk a lot. In that case it would sometimes timeout for interactive or for render nodes. Which is why we gave up on rendering on the license server. It was an older i7 anyway.

Easy test would be to stop the licensing service and then try to open the render settings.

Licensing is always a cat and mouse. Developers want enough license checks to make it a pain for people to patch the checks out and create an illegal copy. But too many checks interferes with legit users.

Comment

Is the render dialog timing fixed in 3ds max or a different program (this is the common-off topic forum)? Is this a hotfix for vray 5? Is it still fast for you or anyone else? I've updated to the latest licence server but am still on next and haven't seen any improvement.
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

still slow in current hotfix (im on 2019 though, apparently better in 2021)

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
              still slow in current hotfix (im on 2019 though, apparently better in 2021)
              A little bird told me it will be even faster soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gandhics View Post
                A little bird told me it will be even faster soon.
                faster if i upgrade to 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post

faster if i upgrade to 2021?
                  Since 3dsMAx main window switched to Qt, Qt integration has been progressing every release.
                  So, in general Qt has been more stable and faster.
                  BUT, i heard there will be even better news for render settings soon.

Comment

BTW, for me lic check should not happen every time when you open dialog.
                    If VRay check lic only just before render, that should be enough.
                    No one will notice 1 sec more when render starts.

Comment

Working...
                    X