Twilight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight

Any tips? Are you charging more? I have always had struggles with them and people seem to think I have a button to pick that changes everything. 30% more is what I say.... I have a client who all of a sudden wants a twilight scene when that wasn't in the quote.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I'm not sure about how much more to charge. Often I have a daylight scene completed and thinking maybe 4-6 hours to re do as dusk, which might include another round of site photography to get the dusk background shot. IMO dusk does take longer than daylight primarily due to setting up interior lighting and then being able to see the inside thru the windows better so adding some furniture, art work etc can be needed.

Also, as mentioned if dusk background photography is required that also must be factored. I have tried to turn a day time photo into dusk..results were embarrassingly bad.

Hope this may be helpful
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

I am in the habit of trying to get people to understand up front that they need to consider what, beyond what they initially want, 'may' be a requirement; so things like completely different angles which may need additional modelling, or other things that specifically stray from the initial request.
      Twilight/night/whatever shots are different tasks and if they understand that then they're better educated as to cost impacts.
      They will mostly not quite understand the details but at least you have made the effort to tell them the facts

As to what charges? Whatever is your day rate or hourly rate to implement those changes I reckon.
      https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Yes, I charged my day rate, hoping I can get it done in a day. Sometimes I get a client drop wanting a twilight scene at the last second when everything up to that point has been daylight. I explain that it is more difficult to pull of a twilight shot and it costs more, sometimes I say 30% more.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Agreed. Effectively we are in the business of providing pretty pictures. Each is different. Each has its own challenges or setup idiosyncracies and it's rarely just button pushing for variations.
          You can only do so much in trying to explain this, so a simple statement of additional costs is fine. It is then their choice to either trust you or decide it's not in their budget.
          If you are getting regular requests for these, then maybe some r'n'd to see exactly what the best approaches are will serve well in establishing more specific numbers.
          You could find it's just getting the right hdr and turning on the outside/inside lights
          And then you can explain that after much research it's actually 35%
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

We use a pretty modular pricing system and about a full day is the increase for dusk marketing images. Depends what it is though - a montage of a tower into a photo we don't increase the price because everything is pretty far away and we're sampling reference colors/tones from a photograph equally if its dusk or day. A full cg masterplan definitely gets the increase.

Comment

Working...
            X