Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a better perspective match tool for 3Ds Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We discovered an issue with the built in 3DS Max camera match tool a few years back, where if you can believe it, was producing an incorrect match when using anything other than a 4:3 monitor, we spotted the issue on one workstation that had both 4:3 and 16:9 monitors, the match only worked on the 4:3 one, so some legacy code was in there, probably from the CRT days, that didn't expect anybody to have any other monitor type.

We have since moved on to use both Syntheyes and PFTrack.

Comment

I work with a 16: 9 screen without any issues.
      For years I used this tool and created hundreds of simulations.
      I usually choose more than 6 match points sometimes also 15 (the more match points there will be more accurate). It does not always work the first time there is also trial and error here. Sometimes it works with some points and does not work with other points. There was not a single time that in the end it did not work

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
        The inbuilt one has not produced a usable result for me in years. I think something has happened. It used to work well for me but not it produces really really incorrect results. Like not even looking remotely in the right direction...
        It's broken as of Max 2020 (possibly even earlier, I skipped 2018 and 2019 so unsure)

I have a copy of Max 2017 installed where it still works, which I use to do my camera matching, and then export the cameras and import into my scenes in Max 2020.

There is a thread here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...296793#M195230

Comment

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post

It's broken as of Max 2020 (possibly even earlier, I skipped 2018 and 2019 so unsure)

I have a copy of Max 2017 installed where it still works, which I use to do my camera matching, and then export the cameras and import into my scenes in Max 2020.

There is a thread here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...296793#M195230
          Thanks. This is really good information and vindicates me
          James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
          Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Ow that explains, haha I gave up on that piece of shit. Been manually camera matching for the last 5 years or so.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
            X