No announcement yet.

3dsMax 2022: Window positions are not saved upon exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a reply from on of the support people over at the beta forums. They admit it is an error: "Hi Oliver, thanks for looking deeper in this issue.

I can reproduce the material editor and Render Setup windows not preserving their position on secondary monitor between different session of 3ds Max".

FFFF..... Fantastic.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Render dialog issue is different. If you use only one umtra wide monitor like me. It works.
      But, if you use multiple monitor, it cause issue.
      It is a bug from the particular version of Qt, 5.15.
      This will require 3dsMax dev update their Qt version.

Comment

There is a solution to the preferences not being saved upon exit: Uninstall V-Ray. No joke, it works.
        Re-install V-Ray, problem is present again.

Comment

A bunch of folks in the forums thread on the Autodesk site have noted that uninstalling Vray fixes the issue. Hmm.

Comment

Alfred, that was me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
              A bunch of folks in the forums thread on the Autodesk site have noted that uninstalling Vray fixes the issue. Hmm.
              does this also apply to the other settgins that get saved upon exit? units, snaps etc?
              cant understand how vray could screw this up really....
              is there any workaround to this? Its does my headin
              thanks bunch
              Martin
              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

I'll be honest, I don't install new versions until all my plugins are supported so I can't verify the issue, I was just noting the thread. Even if I had it I would just deal with it because I cannot imagine life without Vray. People seem to be complaining about multiple things and someone noted that uninstalling Vray seemed to fix the problem. I don't have any problems with 2021 though, and I don't know why a vray install would do such a thing. (I still use the dongle.)

This is all guesswork, please take with a grain of salt. It could be totally unrelated to Vray but somehow exposed by it. Could be a bug in max that doesn't show until a certain condition is met. I'm not sure where the window positions are stored but it seems possible to me that there's some kind of W10 permissions issue. It's hard to really guess. Maybe a firewall issue with vray being executed through max. (The issue may be exposed by Vray but not caused by it.)

Actually, one possibility is that if 3dsmax was actually crashing somehow or being held up from properly closing (say looking for a license server or stalling out on something) then it may not be able to properly end the process and save the settings on close which is when I believe it saves many things. In 2018 3dsmax was updated so in that case would revert to the settings that it saw on open instead of replacing it with defaults like it used to... (no more constantly corrupted user settings.) Perhaps a process killing script or something might be a workaround to see if it forces max to shutdown properly. Maybe something in this thread could help as a test for those affected. (Or, it might not help at all because it kills the process preventing the save.)

Best Regards,

Comment

Just to follow up, it does appear to be something causing max to crash on exit which prevents the final saving of the preferences. Jon Bell had an update here.

Best Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                    I'll be honest, I don't install new versions until all my plugins are supported so I can't verify the issue, I was just noting the thread. Even if I had it I would just deal with it because I cannot imagine life without Vray. People seem to be complaining about multiple things and someone noted that uninstalling Vray seemed to fix the problem. I don't have any problems with 2021 though, and I don't know why a vray install would do such a thing. (I still use the dongle.)

This is all guesswork, please take with a grain of salt. It could be totally unrelated to Vray but somehow exposed by it. Could be a bug in max that doesn't show until a certain condition is met. I'm not sure where the window positions are stored but it seems possible to me that there's some kind of W10 permissions issue. It's hard to really guess. Maybe a firewall issue with vray being executed through max. (The issue may be exposed by Vray but not caused by it.)

Actually, one possibility is that if 3dsmax was actually crashing somehow or being held up from properly closing (say looking for a license server or stalling out on something) then it may not be able to properly end the process and save the settings on close which is when I believe it saves many things. In 2018 3dsmax was updated so in that case would revert to the settings that it saw on open instead of replacing it with defaults like it used to... (no more constantly corrupted user settings.) Perhaps a process killing script or something might be a workaround to see if it forces max to shutdown properly. Maybe something in this thread could help as a test for those affected. (Or, it might not help at all because it kills the process preventing the save.)

Best Regards,
                    Alfred,
                    your are throwing things together. As stated on multiple locations, this issue is happening on a broad variety of machines, from Windows 7 to Windows 10. They all show the same issue in Max 2022: The window positions are not saved upon exit, if the window is positioned on a second or third screen.

This is totally unrelated to the next issue: Settings and preferences are not saved upon exit. This is indeed caused by V-Ray

On Max 2021, everything is fine.

Comment

Could be, I'll just stop commenting. I was just trying to pass info along.

Best Regards,
                      AJ

Comment

The thing is the kind of info that is passed along. I am dealing with three different Autodesk employees regarding that matter right now. Each one is telling me something different.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to try to advance this Oliver.
                          Luckily I'm mid project so haven't moved it over to 22 as yet.
                          Hopefully AD will get their collective act together and fix it
                          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Working...
                          X