Paying Foreign Freelancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying Foreign Freelancers

If and when I need to pay a freelancer in another country from the US for services rendered, is there anything (legal and form-wise) I should be made aware of? Does anyone know of any links and/or materials I can find? I've never had to 'hire' anyone before.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

well, if you have paid to another US company already in you business then you know how to do it. If you work with any freelancer outside of US then freelancer = company in terms of business . She/he will give you an invoice which you pay ( usualy the wire transfer is the best ).

Thats all. simple.

Jan

Comment

Haven't had to do that either yet. I've only worked for other companies and sent invoices in the past.

I'm wondering about US taxes. Hypothetically speaking, if the government is seeing you transfer large sums of money, I'd like to know if there is any government paperwork/forms to fill out in order to prevent being thrown in a Cuban prison....
      LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
      HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
      Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

When I've done work for companies in the States, they've sometimes asked me to sign the form found at the following link:

http://www.1040.com/New1040/pdfs/199...orms/F4224.PDF

I think it basically says that if I owe taxes on any income to the US government, I promise to pay it and you don't need to withhold a percentage of the income for me. I believe different countries have different withholding rates, based on trade agreements, etc.

I'm not a lawyer or accountant and have little interest in it so don't take this as gospel. Trying to figure it out yourself by reading IRS publications is brutal and will leave you even more confused.

Personally, unless you're talking about huge sums of money, I wouldn't worry about it. Just wire over the money, or use Paypal.

Cheers.

Rob

Comment

dealing with other countries I would ask my lawyer or accountant...

-dave
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Working...
          X