Trouble installing WinXP-64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble installing WinXP-64

I gather that there are a few 64 bit users here, I have XP64 successfully installed on my machine, but I'm running into trouble getting all my hardware to work.

Trying to install drivers, I go grab the XP64 Nforce4 drivers for my motherboard and the XP64 Quadro drivers for my video card from Nvidia's website and install them. Upon re-boot, the computer just sits there at the "Windows XP x64" loading screen, the loading bar runs back and forth a bunch of times, then stops for a few minutes, then starts running again, then stops, and so on.

At first I thought it was just configuring the new drivers or whatever, but then after a few minutes I reset, same thing happened. I can get back to windows when I use "SafeMode" or "use last known working configuration" mode (or whatever it's called), but I can't get in through the standard mode. Anyone know what might be happening? Anyone with XP64 run into this issue?

Thanks for any help,
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Earlier today I reinstalled XP 64, and did only the 64-bit Nforce4 drivers and not the video drivers (both from Nvidia.com), and everything is working smooth as glass. I'll try the video drivers again later tonight and see for sure if that is the problem.

What video drivers are you 64-bit guys running? Anyone possibly running a quadro card?

Comment

aahh! noooo.... I spoke to soon. I restarted one more time just to make sure everything worked (a restart after a fresh start in which no drivers or settings were changed).... and the windows loading screen is still running...

Doh!

Damn this kinda sucks. Well, not horribly because I still have another computer in which to get things done... but I'm ready for more speed! lol

Any suggestions?

Comment

wow i had absolutely no problems at all. im running an nvidia 6800. IIRC i just got the proper driver from nvidia.com.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

él bumpó for any hardware/software geeks out there.

If I can't figure this out in a few more days, I guess I'm going to have to try regular XP 32 bit with a 3 gig switch. Damn, I was really wanting to try 64 bit. :-\

Comment

hey buck just saw your post,
            What mobo are you using?
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
              hey buck just saw your post,
              What mobo are you using?
              Hello! I'm using an EPox 9NPA+ Ultra, with Nforce4

Comment

what processor have ya got?
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I'm using an AMD x2 4400

Comment

Good lad.
                    There is a windows installer for the x2 4400 on the amd website.
                    see if that helps you
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

ah! It works with Windows 2k! Just a temporary fix for now.

I'll try that AMD update this the one you mean? (4th from the top)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...s/amdcpu64.exe

Also, I guess it would be a good idea to "flash" my bios? Do I get the absolute latest version and flash it? Or do I have to go up all the versions until I get to the latest? I have never done that before and don't want to screw it up. lol!

Comment

Working...
                      X