Refunds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refunds

How do you guys handle refunds? Typically, I see the deposit paying for the modeling part, and the balance covers the rest. I have had clients cancel a job after I have modeled, ask for the deposit back, and tell them no way without hesitation. I have a situation where the client payed in full upfront, everything is modeled, and he decided not to move forward. He hasn't requested a refund, but I assume he will. The catch is he scheduled my time, and while I was supposed to be working on his project, he went cold. There was that week that I filled it in with other non-billable catch-up stuff where I could have had another job going. My first thought is I refund the second half, but that isn't exactly fair for me. What would you do?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I guess you assess how much of the amount he paid has been used up so far, then refund the rest.
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

These things should be determined up front honestly. You don't have any terms and conditions? If you work with an upfront fee, that's basically you locking down your time. There's no refunding the deposit. Even more if you already started the job. Ofcourse it all depends on the % you ask up front. If you ask 75% then I can understand a partial refund. 50% not so much if you already started.

But again this should be in your terms and conditions, before they agree on working with you. All situations regarding fee, refunds, cancellation, disaster, whatnot, should be in your T&C.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yeah, I do have acts of God in the contract, but not much more. I'll have to beef up my contract.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Maybe credit them on the next project (maybe 25% of the last invoice) as a show of good faith? That way you're offering them something, but also encouraging them to come back, without being out of pocket immediately.

You're in a very lucky position though, often these type of scenarios leave the artist chasing the money for time spent.
          Dean Punchard > Head of CGI at HUB

Comment

Working...
          X