X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP64 + dual core review

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1857522,00.asp

Interesting read.

not a bad article. Kinda told me what I already know though. Running 32bit apps in winxp64 will give a minor speed hit but all in all works okay.

Ill tell you what though, when everything in my system is 64bit, windows, cpu, drivers, 3dsmax, vray etc, my rendertimes better kick 32bits ASS....

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

might be a way off yet given that there are no plans for max8 to be 64bit.

But yeah i sure do hope the renders times are heaps good. Not just more marketing hype.

Comment

It's a shame - theyve been touting 64-bit processors for what seems like several years now...
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

The real advantage of 64bit (for us) is memory. We can use a lot more memory. The only time we really NEED more memory is when rendering. And if you are rendering with Vray (which I assume you are if you are on this forum), there is a 64 bit version of Vray coming out. So yes, 64bit of will make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by DaForce
            might be a way off yet given that there are no plans for max8 to be 64bit.

But yeah i sure do hope the renders times are heaps good. Not just more marketing hype.
            I think there is a good chance it could be a 64bit 8.5, probably wishfull thinking though.
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

Autodesk/discreet showed a 64bit version of max at the Sparks demo at Siggraph. Apparently is was completly rebuilt for 64.
              I will believe it when I see it though
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Well I saw it, it looked just like the current Max. It was impressive in how fast it opened a very large file even while memory usage was up above 5 G's of several other Max sessions. I tried to get some info from some of the reps but they were tight lipped. I have heard rumors that they are not going to start to finalize the code until Microsoft finishes the Dev stuff, which is supposed to happen in November. I really am hoping it is sooner than later!
                Eric Boer
                Dev

Comment

me too!
                  I have reverted back to 32bit windows so I can keep working efficiently.
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

strange. my boxx system i upgraded to xp64 and it works like a dream. have had no complaints.

---------------------------------------------------
                    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Oh God, we have to wait for Microsoft! I really wish our apps were not tethered to that bloated grunt of an OS. My question is why would M$ release an OS without the dev tools completed? Seems pretty dumb to me. Oh well, I am just a lowly 3D artist.
                      rpc212
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

da_elf, I have had problems with the file link in max, and max objects snapping back to their original position after moving them. v. odd.
                        I have logged these issues with discreet and they say that xp64 is not a supported OS.
                        Chris Jackson
                        Shiftmedia
                        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
                          ... and max objects snapping back to their original position after moving them. v. odd.
                          I've had this on 32-bit XP too, so I doubt it's the 64-bit OS that is causing the issues - it has just made an already existing problem more apparent.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

do you know since which version of max this problem appeared?

Comment

I was at that siggraph show as well! To be honest, they didn't really 'do' much with that Max 64bit demo though did they. The legal document that he read out made me laugh though!

Did any of you go to the Mayan afterwards?
                              Kind Regards,
                              Richard Birket
                              ----------------------------------->
                              http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Working...
                              X