Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is SLI worth it?

Hi all,

Wondering if those that use SLI are seeing a big interactivity difference in Max's viewports between having just one adapter versus having the two in SLI mode? If so how much of a difference is it making and would you recommend getting a SLI motherboard and two video adapters when getting a new system? I don't game so I am not interested in that.

Thanks,
    rpc212
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

I resally would not see any point in it for max. Don't waste your money on that and get a quadro card instead.

Comment

Well, you could SLI quadros
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

I think the point is that SLI doesn't really do squat for viewport speed. At least I think it doesn't....

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Yes, that's what I hear too
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

Cool, thanks guys! It's to bad SLI doesn't double viewport speed or close to it. That would be really awesome in theory.
            rpc212
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

well my 2 6600GT's in sli run Max much better than 1 6600GT, I had a scene that was a milliion poly's and I tested single card and multi card and did find in the non-qudro cards there is an increase in speed. How much? I would have to bench it to find out.
              Thanks
              Mathew Everett
              http://www.lappymats.com

Phillipians 4:13
              "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."

Comment

Originally posted by Mathew Everett
                well my 2 6600GT's in sli run Max much better than 1 6600GT, I had a scene that was a milliion poly's and I tested single card and multi card and did find in the non-qudro cards there is an increase in speed. How much? I would have to bench it to find out.
                Sure but he would get a bigger advantage from the quadro based on the double buffer thing. These days, you really don't need a lot of hardware to run MAX efficiently (for interactive stuff, not rendering). The biggest issue with viewport performance is not your hardware, but is MAX... all you have to do is open a similar scene in Maya to realize that.

Comment

Working...
                X