No announcement yet.

Reproducing Etched Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually a liquid latex paint would work best it would peal off the glass easily once your done. but it would cost alot

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Results from spray paint. I picked one rather simple and another more intricate. The octagonal one could have been coated more thoroughly hence some specks:

The both resemble the glasses to a good degree. The bump edges need some refining/smoothing as it only occurs on top. Also, the glass needs to be a clearer faint blue color which I couldn't get right no matter how hard I tried. The sides should be almost an opaque white/light blue instead of the black. Render times are not the most pleasant I've seen. They could use some specular type of highlights (glossies?) without really boosting times further.

1st Max file download here. (68.2 KB)
      2nd Max file download here. (242 KB)

Here's some more of the support files in case anyone wants to tinker and test their own results.

You can download the PSDs of the two glasses with 4 angles in layers here in case you want to try to assemble a normal map then the bump from that. It's a little tricky at first but you have to have blind faith. (4.4 MB)

Download the generated normal maps from the PSDs here. (639 KB)

Download the generated bump maps here. (440 KB)
      LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
      HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
      Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Hey Mate,

How much spray paint are you putting on there. Are you making sure that its totally white and as smooth as possible?

Looking good so far.
        Also the 2nd max file link and the PSD with the 4 angles link dont work. The others came down fine.

Comment

I sprayed it outside at night and did it in a hurry. Now that this works, I'll do a better job next time.

The link is fixed now - sorry about that.

Comment

Ahh ok... make sure to show us your results

Also the "You can download the PSDs of the two glasses with 4 angles in layers here" link is still broken

Comment

Thanks - the link is now fixed. Will let you know upcoming experiments. I've recoated the inside of the box in matte black and bought latex white matte spray paint to help values out a bit. This should help give more precise results.

Talked to my father today - he suggested a polarized lens to cancel out reflections. He also suggested rubbing fur against some glass then using baby powder - strikingly similar to the corn starch suggestion CCS gave.

Comment

Cool im curious to see how it turns out with that latex paint!!!

Yeah lens is a good idea. That baby powder is worth a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
                  Thanks - the link is now fixed. Will let you know upcoming experiments. I've recoated the inside of the box in matte black and bought latex white matte spray paint to help values out a bit. This should help give more precise results.

Talked to my father today - he suggested a polarized lens to cancel out reflections. He also suggested rubbing fur against some glass then using baby powder - strikingly similar to the corn starch suggestion CCS gave.
                  Don't think rubbing glass against fur would do anything, I though it only works on plastics (could be very wrong though )
                  Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Working...
                  X