Texturing help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texturing help needed

I am trying to create textures for a series of external stills and animation using UVWunwrap and Texporter so that they can be painted directly in photoshop.

Problem is that the maximum resolution Texporter exports at is too low for views close to the road, this is not helped by the fact that the roads cover alot of distance.

Does anyone have other methods for creating textures of this nature ?

thanks

n
    www.morphic.tv
    www.niallcochrane.co.uk

If it is a road I usually:

-Create another camera above the road that covers just part of the road and render out using the scanline at say 1600 X 1200 or higher with a default grey material applied.
    -Then I take that image into Photoshop and crop down so just the road is in the image.
    -Then I paint that to what I like.
    -Then save that out to whatever format you want and create a new material in Max (I would guess a Vray mat).
    -Then put this material in the diffuse bitmap slot. You can also save out a bump, displacement, specular etc. map from Photoshop and then put that in the bump slot (or whatever corresponding slot) of the Vray mat.

This is just the way I do it and maybe someone else will have a better idea on how to texture roads and other objects that are close-up.

Hope this helped in some way!
    rpc212
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

Rpc212 thanks for that.

The reason I use the Unwrap modifier is to place the map exactly onto the geometry after working on it in photoshop. I have tried your method but find that it can be quite tricky to get the map placed accurately on the geometry.

Presently, I am trying to use the Mix map with the base asphalt map in the first slot tiled over the whole road surface then have the exported Unwrapped texture in the second slot to provide dirt and uneveness where it is needed. How these 2 maps are mixed successfully is my current task.

thanks for your help.
      www.morphic.tv
      www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X