Where to get parts for AMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get parts for AMD?

I’m interested in building an AMD based system. Can anyone recommend a reputable source in the United States for pre-configured systems? I’m hoping to find a company that sells tested configurations that customers can build.

Thanks in advance.

Monarch has pretty good prices and has been reliable in my experience http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Some of the workstation companies actually post all the hardware they'll be putting in the computer (motherboard/processor/ram) with the manufacturer part number. I went to one company, configured a system, wrote down the part numbers, and ordered everything from Newegg when I build my dual-xeon.

Comment

I like Monarch too... Usually they are near the top on Pricewatch.
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

this should be moved to take5

---------------------------------------------------
          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

If you are looking at systems like a Dell system type but that sells AMDs, you may wnat to look at Boxx... something like this:

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/cf_...InstanceID=567

PS: These systems are NOT cheap.

Comment

i own a boxx and daaaaaaamn its nice

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

show off da elf!!
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

im not the only one on here with a box surely. besides for what i paid for my boxx im sure you have more powerful systems for way less money

Comment

Boxx is awesome. Their tech support is great (not outsourced to India) and even the sales people pick up the phone right away and know what they are talking about.

They are pricey, but machines like what they sell are always pricey. Boxx is cheaper than either Dell or Alienware however, and Alienware focuses too much on the overclocked gamer market; Boxx cares about stability and functionality.

But of course, it deffinitely more than building it yourself. But ask yourself, how much is your time worth?

Comment

actually i found once a boxx is purchased there really isnt any need to call tech support hehehe

Comment

Yeah, I’ve got two BOXX machines. Both have worked flawlessly for years but so have my Dells. The past few systems I bought I compared Dell to BOXX and went with the Dells. The BOXX machines are defiantly nicer but the Dells beat them every time on price by quite a margin for an equivalent spec. However this was on Xeon machines. Now that AMD is on top again the BOXX AMD machines are looking good.

If I had to work on one or upgrade it I'd defiantly prefer the BOXX. Fortunately I haven’t needed support for any of my machines.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

I second the Monarch Computer site recommendation. I have built 3 dualie workstations with their parts and never had a single problem. As for time, once you have all the parts, it should only take about 2 hours for complete assembly and software installation. Its going to be half the price of Boxx or Dell or whatever, and even if your time is worth say $100/hr, thats only $200 in labour, which is still way cheaper than pre-mades.
                          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Do you specify all parts, or do they sell kits?
                            sigpic
                            J. Scott Smith Visual Designs

FB Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/jssvisualdesigns
                            http://www.linkedin.com/in/jscottsmith
                            https://jscottsmith.com/

Comment

I've always done a little research, call a few places when things look like they'll fit together, and ask a few friends. Some places do provide kits in the form of 'cpu and motherboard' combos.

One thing you can guarantee about building your own computer is that you know the quality of parts going into your system instead of generic adapters, memory, etc... The second benefit (mentioned previously) is that you can cut costs significantly. I really recommend this if you are on the budget or if you just want to buy more things for your comp (such as memory.)
                              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X