XP 64 and XP Pro network compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 64 and XP Pro network compatability

In about at week I will have a new dualie dual-core Opteron. My office IT made me get XP Pro instead of XP 64 because they said it would be incompatible with the office network server which is running some recent version of Windows 32 bit server OS.

Is this really true? Is a 32 bit server OS incompatible with a 64 bit workstation? I could really use the memory usage of win64 for Vray.
    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

I don't think that is true, we are running several 64bit machines on our modern 32bit network.

Death to all IT guys! oops j/k
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

yeah. i do network rendering and DR rendering etc between my winxp64 and my winxp32 machines with no problems

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Okay, cool. I guess the follow-up question would be does Max 8 and Vray take advantage of the memory enhancements that win XP 64 offers?

Comment

Yes and no. It does raise the memory ceiling from 2 GB to 4GB. They do not yet use the 64bit addressing though that is probably less than 6 mos. away.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

besides. why spend money on the past (32bit) when you can be preparing for the future (64bit)

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

Yes, I agree. And thanks to your feedback, IT is now looking into our windows licensing so as to determine whether we can get win64 without paying extra for it.

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

i doubt the offer is still on but when i purchased my boxx system there was a deal on that if you bought winxp pro within a certain time frame you got a free upgrade to winxp64

Comment

LOL looks like it could be time to replace your IT admin with someone that either actually knows what their doing or is not to lazy to implement what is needed on the network

-dave
                  Cheers,
                  -dave
                  ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Well, for a large architecture firm who has never previously had a full-time visualizer, I think IT here are doing remarkably well. I educate them when I can, and they help me set up network rendering services and the like.

But after 2 years in London, I have learned to be patient.

-An american Visualizer in London

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone1
                      LOL looks like it could be time to replace your IT admin with someone that either actually knows what their doing or is not to lazy to implement what is needed on the network

-dave
                      Yeah it's tuff, I am constantly banging heads with ours. There seems to be a attitude among the IT world that users are stupid and as long as simple file transfer works, the the network is up to par, well that and that silly security measures are in force no matter what the cost to production... :P
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

when the company i was working for changed buildings to join into another company also owned by the same people who owned us, that company had their own IT guy. i told my boss that he could setup her computer and the secretaries computer on the building network. however any computer used for post production was not to be touched by him but only by me. and would ya know it, it was almost a month before he had my boss and secretary setup on the network printer. sheesh. moron

Comment

Working...
                        X