Disconnected Texture Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnected Texture Drive

If youre using DR with a network drive for textures and you reboot that computer, a mapped drive on the other computers to this will show up as 'disconnected.'

Does anyone know of a way to have the other computers periodically check and 'reconnect' to the mapped texture drive/computer instead of manually having to do it by clicking it each time?
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Oooh oooh juju, I hope you get the answer you're looking for. Ever since I built my new workstation for some reason I have to click on the network drive when I first boot the machine before I try to load a file in max from the Recent Files list.

At first I also had the problem that every 8 hours or so the machine would lose its connection again until a user opened the drive back up. I found a solution on an IT forum that suggested it was a DNS address confusion problem, so I assigned static addresses -- the primary DNS to our file server, and the secondary DNS to our router that feeds us our net connection. Still have to click the drive when I first boot, but at least it doesn't crap out anymore during overnight renders!

I was really pulling for a decent IT guy for Christmas but Santa stiffed me again, the fat bastard.

Hope this helps!
    Shaun
    ShaunDon

Comment

There are autodisconnect timeouts (not to be confused with this) which I've adressed with a command line solution in another thread.

The only thing I can think of to get around this for now is to throw all the textures onto a computer that I rarely have to reboot - a server server in the traditional sense...

Comment

It might work to use task scheduler to run a bat file that remaps the drive/s
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

hmm hmm hmm good idea...

Comment

its strange. i use mapped network drives and ive never ever ever seen a timeout on it. and its not like i did anything special in setting them up

---------------------------------------------------
            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

you might consider using a linux machine with a current version of samba for sharing textures and stuff - has no connection limit like windows and comes free (has lower hardware specs as an additional bonus, esp. if you run it in console mode)

takes a little reading to get it right first, but after that it works fine.

btw: i have never experienced any timeouts with windows shares - sounds strange to me.

cu mike

ps: UNC shares worked fine so far - for me they have replaced mapped network drives
              they have the advantage that the remote file is automaticly accessible as soon as the share is availlable again

ps2: @shaun: well, im looking for a job

Comment

Working...
              X