vrml texture baking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vrml texture baking

ok... i've managed to bake textures onto my model and update all the materials so my model now looks 'rendered' in the viewport, but when i export to VRML and view in my VRML software (bs contact) the textures don't show up...

does anyone have any experience with textured vrml output and could give me a hand?

i would very much appreciate it!
    when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

the max inbuild vrml exporter only exports the textures on uv channel 1.
    that means u need to put the uv's for the diffuse textures to an uv channel other than 1, so you can bake the complete map into uv channel 1.
    check also in the baking dialog, output into source, so the vrml exporter will catch your baked material.

as a second option u could use the map channel info tool and copy the uv coords for the baked map from channel 2 or whatever to 1.

for some reason the texture baker script likes to save out bitmaps in tga format. u might need to convert them to jpg and change .tga to .jpg in the vrml file.

-oconv

Comment

thanks! i'll give it a go and let you know how i get on...

Comment

ok... i did all that but there's no map paths in the vrml file...

Comment

the maps need to be in the diffuse map slot

Comment

ah...
            i had grabbed the materials from the objects with the dropper and it created shell materials.
            once i copied the baked material from the shell and attached it to the object it all worked.

does that mean i need to copy the baked material out of the shell material for the texture export to work or is there another way?

Comment

Originally posted by oconv
              check also in the baking dialog, output into source, so the vrml exporter will catch your baked material.

Comment

heh!
                so that's what that does!

i thought i'd done that to be honest... i'll try again!

getting closer though!

Comment

thanks for all the help oconv.
                  i finally manged to get it working...sort of!
                  i think it's something i'll have to play around with a bit more in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X