Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone know the difference between AMD opteron...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know the difference between AMD opteron...

250/252/270/254/275/280?

I was looking at these:http://www.komplett.nl/k/config.asp?...SystemId=10131

anyone familiar with this company? seems they operate in whole europe.
    You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

The differences are as Follows

Single Core Opterons
    250 - 2.4Ghz/1mb cache
    252 - 2.6Ghz/1mb cache
    254 - 2.8Ghz/1mb cache

Dual Core Opterons
    270 - 2.0Ghz/2mb cache (2x1mb)
    275 - 2.2Ghz/2mb cache (2x1mb)
    280 - 2.4Ghz/2mb cache (2x1mb)

Also all dual core opterons are .09 micron and so are the new single core ones but some of the older single core opterons are .13 micron

Apart from that i know nothing of komplett.nl sorry

Comment

I buy nearly all my stuff from komplett.ie and they are very well priced. I find them great to buy from, they also have a UK site. I have had to change items and return a case that was damaged through no fault of theirs but rather the delivery guy and they replaced with little of no hassel.

regarding you main question, Daforce has that sussed for you

Hope that helps.

Tom
      Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Thanks for your help,

The price differences between the 270's and 280's are rather large for only 20% speed increase. (about 800 euro more for two 280's)

or would you think the single core 252's running at 2.6 Ghz are faster than the 2.0 dual core 270's?

I've just asked them how they handle returns, imo service is a important factor in my buying decision.
        You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

because all those cpus are so similar just add up the ghz to give you a rough comparison.
          DOnt forget to double the mhz for each dual core cpu.

For instance your questions 252v270

2x252's = 5.2ghz
          2x270's = 8ghz

So dual 270's will be faster.. but dependinbg on the cost.. may not be worth it.

If your just going to get 2 single core opterons its better value to get an X2

Comment

aha, thanks for explaining

Comment

no problem

Comment

The 252's will scorch the 270's in single threaded applications.... but for rendering the 270's will scorch the 252's.... depends where you want the performance.

Things like reactor calculations, viewport speed, and other single thread aspects of 3ds will only run on one core, ie 2Ghz on the 270.

That being said, I've got the 265's and love the 4 bucket rendering

Tried a bit of overclocking and managed to squeeze an extra 20% out of the chips.... (using the vray benchmark on this forum)... but it wasn't stable enough to use for production.

I'd get the 270's
                Many Thanks
                Patrick

Comment

yeah... for single threaded processes you want the highest mhz on a single cpu
                  For rendering and multithreaded processes you want bulk mhz however you can get it

Comment

Working...
                  X