Schedule/appointment prog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedule/appointment prog?

I have long given up that virus trap called outlook, and use Thunderbird for all my email. I am not a big fan of the freebie calendar program that comes with it. I'm going to post on a few places and ask around... but what do you guys think?

- What schedule/appointment/to-do program do you guys use?
    - Is there a good one that works online that will give you email notifications?
    - Is there one I can install on my website that can run constantly and I can do scheduling?

Hi Chris;

This combo is good for me but it does use Outlook

For scheduling: www.taskline.com (for outlook)
    For time keeping: www.timesheetsexpress.com

Both great

Cheers, Cameron

Comment

I'm stuck in the same position. Still on Outlook tho. I've tried Thunderbird, but it puts me in the position to replicate 6 other functions since I have done some custom programming in Outlook. Plus, the other apps I've seen so far don't talk to each other. For instance, I don't want to have to enter names into a contact manager AND an email client.

I would love another option though. Watching thread for suggestions...
      sigpic
      J. Scott Smith Visual Designs

FB Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/jssvisualdesigns
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/jscottsmith
      https://jscottsmith.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Robur
        Hi Chris;

This combo is good for me but it does use Outlook

For scheduling: www.taskline.com (for outlook)
        For time keeping: www.timesheetsexpress.com

Both great

Cheers, Cameron
        Yeah... thanks for that, but still does not stop the evil outlook.

Comment

mmm i still use outlook. And its not that much of a virus trap as far as im concerned.

I dont run any software firewalls or antivirus, and im yet to be infected by anything.. common sense and updated programs should see you thru.

I think no matter what program you use... if you get an email with a virus attachement and you open it.. your still stuffed. Thunderbird isnt going to save you from that.

If outlook works well for you and the only reason you changing away is the virus threat.. well i wouldnt bother, just make sure you have a good AV program

Comment

Well for calendar, email and schedule stuff I have installed Lotus Notes as well as Lotus Domino server at work.

NOD32 and outlook works very well - I have never gotten infected by a virus (and I get over 200 junk emails a day). If you do decide to use NOD make sure you have Max 8 cause VRay and Max 7 produces a crash when running at the same time as NOD.

I would strongly recommend getting a PDA, they do it all and its portable too - you can check it anywhere anytime.

/BlueShift
            Saad "BlueShift" Ur Rahman
            saad.ur.rahman<at>gmail<dot>com

"Professional built the Titanic, amateurs built the Arc."

Comment

[quote="DaForce"]I think no matter what program you use... if you get an email with a virus attachement and you open it.. your still stuffed./quote]

not necessarily... http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustbenign.html

i've recently tried other programs too, but have gone back to outlook

i use mailwasher before downloading my mail tho, you get the above 'benign' free with the pro version. http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustpro.html

Comment

ok well I kinda meant if your using the programs by them selves without any additional software.

I know there is plenty of programs out there to stop and remove viruses ..etc.. before they even get to the mail program.. such as the one you mention

Comment

ok ok ok ok....

So basically you guys are telling me there is no hope. It is either outlook, a palmpilot... or little scraps of paper. Doesn't that seem odd? That people have so few choices when it comes to a very straight forward application where there should be 1000s of competing products for?

Comment

LOL ahh kinda yeah.

Basically im saying if your moving away from outlook because of viruses, i dont think that is necessary. Considering it seems like Outlook does exactly what you want anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cpnichols
                      ok ok ok ok....

So basically you guys are telling me there is no hope. It is either outlook, a palmpilot... or little scraps of paper. Doesn't that seem odd? That people have so few choices when it comes to a very straight forward application where there should be 1000s of competing products for?
                      Thats what a monopoly does to the market

Comment

did you check on something like tucows? usually if you type in what your looking for like "schedule" you should get a number of programs listed

---------------------------------------------------
                        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
                          did you check on something like tucows? usually if you type in what your looking for like "schedule" you should get a number of programs listed
                          Well that was what I was hoping that one of you guys have already done that can tried something and woudl recommend it. It sorta says something that no one has.

Comment

well. i never did have too heavy a work load to have to do some serious scheduling

---------------------------------------------------
                            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Chris...

I was looking into the same sort of thing and found this website that lists all the open source / free Project management tools...

http://proj.chbs.dk/

Most of them runs on a simple Apache/PHP/MySQL webserver - others are java applets etc.

However, these programs are meant as groupware solutions for small businesses and maybe overkill for calendar/mail.

I had a go at installing the NetOffice and eGroupware - but ran out of R&D time on that account.
                              Jonas Andersen
                              Cadpeople | Visual Communication
                              www.cadpeople.com

Comment

Working...
                              X