Not on this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not on this forum?

Why are things like this not posted on this forum?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...hreadid=317072

I am always seing really amazing work that claims to be done by talented artists that use Vray, but they are never shown here on this forum...

oooo. very very nice. you have to wonder if half the stuff seen off the forum is done by people who are really good (but cheap) at 3d

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

oooh dear that is brutal...do read the whole challenge thread.

this one is really strikeing. looks abit like me sunday morning 5 am in the bathroom with poor flourecent light...brilliant work.

Comment

ooks abit like me sunday morning 5 am in the bathroom with poor flourecent light
        hee hee
        I see trawl through several forums and have 2 ballistic books.
        The amount and quality of vray work is astounding. including the above image.
        Vlado and the team deserve a pat on the back.
        (can I have vray 1.5 now hee hee! )

Seriously, they need to update the gallery

Geoff
        www.EeDesign.co.uk

Comment

Re: Not on this forum?

[quote="cpnichols"]Why are things like this not posted on this forum?
          quote]
          imy guess would be a cracked software..
          http://www.3dvision.co.il

Comment

chris answer is simple, those great works are done by crack users unfortinantly
            plus those users that dont use crack are probably restricted by nda....haha
            its a paradox
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I think also that we are all to busy making a living to play around with this type of render. Very time consuming, I'm sure. But pretty, in a sick sort of way.

Tony

Comment

I'd say that's quite right: this forum seems mostly populated by ArchViz people, rather than VisFX ones, bar a few very notable exception, like cpnichols and morbid angel.

And as cpnichols explained in another post, most FX studios do with a lot less in terms of features, or they tend to code their very own shaders to sit in a wider pipeline (as the RMan one), thus extending without changing.

Archviz has a faster jobs turnaround, and the idea of a cheap-ish renderer with very usable features for the kind of tasks at hand is definitely an attractive one.

Not to mention that the skillbase differs by quite a bit: modelling skills are very different between the organic and architectural/design world. And so the lighting understanding required, to a degree (see the usage of IES profiled lights in very specific places, against a "what looks good is right" approach.), and the compositing lenghts the VFX people go to.

Last but not least, few archviz studios do "true" animations, in the sense that most animate a camera, and/or in some cases the lighting. Definitely not characters and whole worlds, with a frames per day output that has to be kept very high(in my own experience, ten to twenty minutes for a complex frame is good. more is bad), using other means to achieve a more complex look to the picture.

This to say that the guy might as well have bought VRay, but aside from reading the manual, he might not find this forum so terribly useful (and i think of the amount of work he's done within ZBrush, for one, or the amount of texture painting/SSS shading involved), with all the due respect to us frequenters, of course

Lele

Comment

I think There are a lot of students on the software of there school and so on, not allowed to post here but in the free section
                  Daniel Westlund

Comment

Yeah often pictures posted on alot of the other forums do seem like they have been created by cracked copies of vray.
                    Especially the ones were someone who is obviously young.. has rather bad english (given where they come from) and has only done the render just for fun. Yet they have used thousands of dollars worth of software to do so. I have seen some renders that have included maya, max, zbrush, photoshop, and various plugins.
                    I often used to wonder "How do these people afford all this software"
                    Well the truth is the probably havnt spent a buck on any of it.

Comment

I found that trend (copying stuff) quite rife in italy, but a LOT less so in the UK.
                      People tend to buy things, even if they just use them for fun ( i know a guy working as builder, that bought c4d, for instance), all the more so if they are in the industry, earning more than enough money to afford half a month wages for 3ds max+vray.
                      It prolly boils down to buying power, rather than straightforward choice.
                      Or so i like to think.

Lele

Comment

....by the record most pirated countries are:
                        1 - china
                        2 - russia

yet I think in russia studios do invest into vray. Because they believe it to be a respectable renderer, and even poor folks like that can scrape some money.
                        I remember in russia going to black markets, where they sell loads of cd's/dvd's of movies, programs whatever you can imagine, for as little as 10c per piece. So you can imagine how easy it is for some one to get stuff.
                        Dmitry Vinnik
                        Silhouette Images Inc.
                        ShowReel:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Just in general - this forum is alot of archvis and very few illustration posts by comparison. I've heard from several other people as well, that people are more responsive to illustrative work on other forums (CGTalk or Evermotion to name a few.)

Perhaps I've just had some bad illustrations (or work) posted here, but the responses towards my old illustration work pale in comparison to the archvis ones which the users here seem to relate to better (good comments and critical ones.)
                          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

ive found that non-arch viz stuff here has always gotten good reviews (if its good naturally)

---------------------------------------------------
                            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

If it's really good or someone that normally has a good-track record - yeah. But the amount of responses generally pales in comparison cause people can't relate. There is an unfortunate separation for alot of people between architecture and other forms of art - like the two fields can't relate to each other completely (ie. some artists don't care for viz work and vice-versa.)

Another theory is that Vray can be very technical (due to the controls) - and it works for people in a technical field. Maxwell on the other hand seemed to take on more traditional 'artists' - because they're generally not as technical/schematical. Even the other sites have sections for simpler paint tools which attracts a larger crowd.
                              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X