Maxscript : import 3ds sequence from Onyx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxscript : import 3ds sequence from Onyx

I looked for a script to automate the import of the 3ds sequence from onyx (a bit of a huge ommission from the onyx suite imho) into max.
    Yhere was a script online, but I couldn't get it to work with the onyx files (think it was expecting a set of morph targets). http://www.scriptspot.com/scripts/Mo.../3dsimport.zip

So I set about writing my own script to do the task.

Download it here.
    http://www.reformstudios.com/03-reso...sScript_0.1.ms

Hope some of you find it useful!
    Many Thanks
    Patrick

Mind if I post this on ScriptSpot?
    Christopher Grant
    Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
    Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

Comment

Not at all man! I'd be pleased!

It would be good to get a link to my website when I get a page up for it.
      If you hold off a bit, I'll improve the code and get a dialog box setup for choosing the folder.

Many Thanks
      Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by RE:FORM_STUDIOS
        Not at all man! I'd be pleased!

It would be good to get a link to my website when I get a page up for it.
        If you hold off a bit, I'll improve the code and get a dialog box setup for choosing the folder.

Not a problem. Will do.
        Christopher Grant
        Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
        Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

Comment

Here's an update to the script. I've added a path dialog, and fixed the visibility controller bezier type problem.

http://www.reformstudios.com/03-reso...port3ds_0.2.ms

Feel free to stick it up on scriptspot.

Cheers.
          Many Thanks
          Patrick

Comment

Another update.... the script now checks the number of frames to be loaded, and sets the animation range to suite.
            http://www.reformstudios.com/03-reso...port3ds_0.3.ms
            Many Thanks
            Patrick

Comment

so this script is using morph targets for each and every onyx tree 3ds file? ive used a script that does the same thing so i could import an animated poser model into max using sequencial 3ds files. the result was a huuuuuuuge scene file in max since every model is there as opposed to one model with moving vertex

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Yea.... the script I've written brings in all the files.... so no motionblur, and huge files.
                Not the best situation. Only good for rendering off animations to then project onto planes.

Has anyone had any joy working with animated onyx 3ds sequences? Is there a sensible workflow I've stupidly overlooked?
                Many Thanks
                Patrick

Comment

what would be awsome is for max to convert morph targets all into one single object with vertex motion. dont know why it cant do it. basically for a morph to work it needs to have all vertex lined up. so the script would run through all the vertex and move based on the targets vertex possitions. sure you would loose the animatability (dont know if thats a word) but it would be good as the "before render" stage to shrink a scene down (naturally keeping the original editable scene as a different backup file)

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

The problem with the onyx 3ds files is that the meshes have different topologies between frames.... (at least the bamboo growth ones.... not sure about wind animted trees)

It (the wind animated trees) might work with the standard 3ds-animation morph import script thats on scriptspot... I'll try it out when I get a chance.
                    Many Thanks
                    Patrick

Comment

oooooh. riiiight. yeah growth anims would change topography

Comment

Da_elf- Your new avatar image is cracking me up!
                        RE:FORM_STUDIOS- Thanks for the script. I'll be checking it out.

Comment

wouldn't tree storm work for loading the trees and animating them?
                          seems to be less pricy than the work for exporting rendering out the animations by hand (ok, depends on what your quote per work hour is
                          OnyxGARDEN SuperBundle Max ..... 595.00 .... SPECIAL!!!
                          Contains OnyxGARDEN Suite plus TREE STORM plugin for Max/Viz!
                          TREE STORM for Max ..... 495.00
                          Contains plugin for 3ds Max8/Max7/Max6/Viz2005/Viz2006 and TREE CLASSIC parametric modeler of broadleaf, palm, and conifer trees.

Comment

hmmm, Thought I'd made a complete ass of myself there... but it seems the growth animations output from the bamboo module aren't compatible with treestorm.

You are right though.... for wind animations, treestorm is the way to go.
                            Many Thanks
                            Patrick

Comment

hmm
                              seems to be something to bug the developers of the plugin about
                              guess that would be useful for a lot of people

Comment

Working...
                              X