Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High performance render nodes

Hi Guys,
    we're looking to purchase some high performing render nodes.

This is what I've put together so far:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor, Socket 939, "Toledo Core", HT2000 MT/s, 2 x 1MB L2 Cache, Boxed

- ABIT KN8 Ultra Motherboard

- Corsair TWINX2048-3200 2GB (2x XMS1GB) PC-3200

- ELSA GLADIAC PCX 736, NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5750, 128MB DDR, PCI-Express

- 4U Enlight BLACK Rackmount Chassis, 9 x 5.25" Drive bays, 7 x PCI expansion slots, Support Nocona CEB / ATX 12*10 / 12*13 M/Bs, NO PSU

- Antec NEO480 Watt ATX12V Power Supply

- Samsung NCQ 40GB SATA II HDD - 7200RPM, 8MB Buffer, NoiseGuard, ImpacGuard, SilentSeek, Hot-Plug & Hot-Swap capable, 3-year warranty
    That comes in at around $1,845.90. I've purposely chosen crappy hdds and video cards.

How will that perform? Am I skimping on anything that I shouldn't be? We'll be looking at 5 or so to begin with and adding another 5 shortly down the track.

Thanks guys!

You'renot skimping IMO unless you want to put someone on those nodes. Performance should be good. SATA II is relatively new at 300 mbps transfer rate - not a bad hard drive at all and 40 gigs should be more than plenty.

I purchased a Gigabyte A8N for $80 with onboard sound, gig network, and onboard Geforce (6100?) video. I recommend it as you could possibly cut costs even further.

As for your Chassis - which Enlight are you getting - full ATX 8990? Do you have the rack as well?
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

since those machines will probably be running 24/7 i'd tend to use hdds that are designed for longtime use - f.e. the smaller wd raptors (about 100€ for the 37gb version)

no need to go for sata2 though - there still are no single disks that have more transfer rate than sata or p-ata can handle

juju's suggestion to go for onboard graphics is a good one, too
      there really is no need to use anything better

as for the power supply: i have a review here that recommends the ultron un-550 pfc
      550W, measured to supply a maximum of 615W, removable power cables (= tidy case) - only costs about 65€ (its only drawback: its a little noisier than others - 23db/A)

Comment

Working...
      X