Splines and model rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splines and model rotation

This is something that had bugged me for a long time. Maybe the answer is simple, maybe not.

The problem is I am creating splines on a complex model - using Face snap. What I need to do is rotate the model without closing the spline ( existing spline creation mode ). At the moment I use the standard Alt MMB to Arc rotate - whenever I do this it is the same as RMB - i.e. closes the spline.

Anybody have an idea of how I can rotate around the model while creating a spline? Sounds simple right ?

Thanks as always for your help.

seems to be impossible

i even tried changing the viewport via maxscript (macroscript mapped to the keypad) but it also cancels the creation mode
    the only possible viewport movement i know is the virtual viewport's interactive pan using the keypad (first / and then 4, 8, 6, 2)
    but no rotation

Comment

I dont know for rotation, but for panning simply hold the "i" key and you´ll have interactive panning (viewport follows your mouse)

Thorsten

Comment

nice tip!
        btw: i found something for rotating:

customize keyboard, switch to the tools category
        roll viewport CCW
        roll viewport CW

yaw viewport CCW
        yaw viewport CW

pitch viewport down
        pitch viewport up

you can assign those to the numpad and use them in creation mode to move around - not perfect but it works
        it rotates about the viewport center and doesn't interrupt the creation of objects

my current key assignment:
        NumPad 7 --> Roll Viewport CCW Big
        NumPad 9 --> Roll Viewport CW Big

NumPad 8 --> Pitch Viewport Down Big
        NumPad 2 --> Pitch Viewport Up Big

NumPad 4 --> Yaw Viewport CCW Big
        NumPad 6 --> Yaw Viewport CW Big

NumPad 5 --> Pan Viewport (thanks instinct!)
        works for 2-handed modelling (numpad for movement left, mouse for creation right)

cu mike

Comment

Here is what I do in such cases.
          Go for some general spline (closed), then add more vertexes and move them to the right snap. Thus your spline will always be closed.

I think that with the rotating is impossible. (if Max was like the Rhino way) Could be wrong of course !

Best regards,
          nikki Candelero
          .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

It is possible with the Powernurbs Sketchtool...Autodesk should have added it since R1.2 *sigh*

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks guys - glad it isn't just me who has this problem - a small thing that I will add to the wish list I think. I might mention it to discreet for 9

Comment

I seem to remember seeing a script that allowed you to rotate and continue a spline but I looked for a few minutes and didn't find it. Maybe I'll look some more later.
                Eric Boer
                Dev

Comment

if you have to rebuild highpoly (cad?) meshes very often, i'd recommend looking at polyboost:
                  especially the second feature in this movie looks like its made for you

http://hem.bredband.net/polyboost/Po..._5_upgrade.avi
                  15Mb techsmith codec

look at the first feature shown here:
                  http://www.cmlcreative.com/Videos/PolyBoost2_video.avi
                  50mb

http://www.polyboost.com/
                  100€ per seat though
                  afaik they have a time-limited trial version so you can test it out

Comment

Working...
                  X