CRT Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRT Recomendations

I need to spec some new 21" monitors I have always gone with viesonics P series but they are discontinued. Anyone have experience with the "g" series and/or have a preference in a different brand?

Thanks!
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Just don't get LaCie! They don't support their product at all. Plus they can't fulfill a simple monitor replacement without it getting trashed in shipping and then blaming the customer for it!
    rpc212
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

why crt? i used crt's for a long time, after several years i became so alergic to them...would get tramendous headache, burn on the face, not to mention eye pain.....so i went in and cached into 2 19" lcds, and love them since. After 12 hour day i come out as if i didnt spend the time infront of the monitor at all.
      And that was 2 years ago, now those lcd's dropped in price a lot. Think about that
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel
        why crt? i used crt's for a long time, after several years i became so alergic to them...would get tramendous headache, burn on the face, not to mention eye pain.....so i went in and cached into 2 19" lcds, and love them since. After 12 hour day i come out as if i didnt spend the time infront of the monitor at all.
        And that was 2 years ago, now those lcd's dropped in price a lot. Think about that
        Well, the color for one thing. I have two monitors, a 19" Viewsonic P series (the G series is quite nice too, had one of those) and a 21" Apple Cinema display. While the Cinema display is nice, it has some limitations. Even though it is really good for an LCD, there are still subtle issues with differences in colors, especially in darker colors or grey colors. And font smoothing can be a problem. I've had images where everything looks jaggedy on the LCD, but not on a CRT (square vs. round pixels)... its something that shows up especially bad on small text.

The 21" Apple Cinema displays are gorgeous monitors if you go LCD, but there are very distinct differences between LCD and CRT, especially if you do screen work.

Comment

thats true, well I have a special precet that is quite close to the one of the compositor who has broadcast monitor, so my color result is acceptable for him, he then parses that through broadcast monitor and we have a liftoff...
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

All things being equal the crt's are a better value for a good quality compared to a lcd of the same size. I do still think the old tubes are smoother, refresh quicker and produce color better so for now I will stick with them.

So Dynedain, the G's are comparable to the P's? Probably the way I will go.

Unless I anyone has anything better, anyone using sony's?
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

I agree entirely on CRTs.
              The LCD's gammas are just not there yet.

I never moved away from IIyama monitors.
              They are cheap, have a diamondtron tube (like mitsubishi) and pack it all in a very very small space (say, my OLD 22" is 60x60x60 cms, cables included).
              After 5 years, it's not missing ONE pixel.

Have fun!

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                All things being equal the crt's are a better value for a good quality compared to a lcd of the same size. I do still think the old tubes are smoother, refresh quicker and produce color better so for now I will stick with them.

So Dynedain, the G's are comparable to the P's? Probably the way I will go.

Unless I anyone has anything better, anyone using sony's?
                I personally didn't notice a difference between the G and the P while I had both on my desk (the G is now on a server because it was smaller and my Cinema display replaced it).

Skip the Sony monitors entirely. 5 years ago they were great, now with the focus on LCDs, they are absolute crap. We have a bunch here in the office, and on almost every single one of them, the brightness has become uncontrollable within 2 years.

Comment

Personnaly I have a IIyama 22 diamontron HA202DT and I love it!!!!
                  For printed job that's THE monitor!! Great calibration and great garanty.
                  I also have samsung lcd (which are the screen of the apple ), syncmaster213, and syncmaster 193 and I hate them!!!!
                  I'm on the point to buy others IIyama diamontron.
                  =:-/
                  Laurent

Comment

I've been using a LACIE electron22 blueIV as my main monitor for the past couple of years, and it's been great. As my 2nd monitor I have an Iiyama Prolite E481S 19" LCD, which is ok as a reference monitor (having CAD files open, etc), but not for colour work. I finally got round to getting a Spyder2Pro monitor calibrator a few weeks back, and it's made the world of difference to both monitors, which are now quite close to each other in terms of output.

I've had no trouble with LACIE, but then I've never had to use their customer services. The first Iiyama Prolite I had delivered, arrived in a million peices, but the supplier replaced it the next day.

I'd love to go over to a pair of matching LCDs, probably LACIE 321s, as they are much better for your health, and I'm pretty sure if they're calibrated correctly there shouldn't be any problems. Besides, it'd be nice to reclaim some desk space!

Andrew.
                    -Andrew

Andrew Martin Visualisation

Comment

i have used nec multisync ones (fe1250+, 22") and one from mitsubishi (the use the same tubes - but the mitsubishi has better circuits and more control options)
                      those are really great - especiall if you consider the price they are sold at by now
                      eizo also has a good reputation, but when i bought my nec i couldnt afford them

Comment

i have used nec multisync ones (fe1250+, 22") and one from mitsubishi (the use the same tubes - but the mitsubishi has better circuits and more control options)
                        those are really great - especiall if you consider the price they are sold at by now

Comment

Comment

I have a G220f it's much nicer than my P810. It has a flat screen, better image quality. I recently baught my first Sony LCD, It compares very well to the G220f. The text looks good and it's very easy on the eyes. That's all I'm buying in the future.

Comment

I have a G220f it's much nicer than my P810. It has a flat screen and better image quality. I recently baught my first Sony LCD, It compares very well to the G220f. The text looks good and it's very easy on the eyes. That's all I'm buying in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X