• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dell precision 670 bixeon3.6 with xp64

Is anyone have tryed this???
    I mean the 64 system on the workstation and not the workstation
    =:-/
    Laurent

Unless someone just has some money to throw away and will only let you purchase that particular system, the price for the 3.4 is WAY better as far as performance goes, and you'll save a bunch more money on not having to buy a personal air conditioner.

Let me explain. I have the dual 3.6, the person next to me has the dual 3.4.

It is 81.8 degrees right now where I am sitting and it's only 79.4 degrees where she is sitting. That's just rediculous if you ask me.

On an hour rendering mine might save somewhere between 15 seconds and a minute at best. My computer also takes alot more power and it noisy as hell (when rendering). The fans that come with it are so much louder.

The precision 670 is good though. We have a deal with dell, so got a decent price. We bought 17 dual 3.4s with 2gb of ram, an air conditioner to run the room, and some extra electric for just under 50k.

If you're just using it for rendering and using max I would suggest to save some money and downgrade to a sata drive. That saved us Alot of money.

I wouldn't use the 64bit function just yet. We tried it on one machine, but working in a dual environment didn't work so hot. Oh, nad windows 64 bit crashed left and right. We switched it back. We'll wait for vista (probably sp1 too).

Comment

why go dell though. arnt they an intel only company?

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I'd wait and see what the new dual core xeons look like. The Bensley platform should be available any day now and from early looks will wipe the floor with the existing xeons and give the optis a run for their money.

The AMD X2 based systems are still a great bargain and hard to beat.

As far as os's I have several workstations running XP64 alongside the older XPpro boxes, haven't had any issues (well one, max files with legacy nurb objects will not load in XP64), other than that it works great. I just ordered 21 more XP64 X2's.

The "AMD only" camp should be squirming with the Bensley platform on it's way. :P
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Working...
        X