Aspect Ratio - Shooting clean frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspect Ratio - Shooting clean frames

I am working on a project that is 16:9 aspect ratio. It will be delivered both 16:9 and 4:3. We are trying to shoot clear frames ( not sure if this is the correct term?) for both aspect ratios. My question is how do I display safe frames for both 16:9 and 4:3. I thought of creating an object that represents the 4:3 Frame and aligning that with the front of the camera and then using the 16:9 safe frame option from the 3ds camera.
    Sorry about the long winded post - hope somebody understands what I am trying to say.

Thanks as always

You can configure the "Safe Frames" in the Viewport Configuration dialog box. You'll have to do the math (in %'s) to convert a 16x9 to 4:3, but there's nothing to stop you from making the "title safe" area be your 4:3 aspect ratio border. Hope this helps.

David
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks that helps - but I think I am going to go with a tif that I can use over the film plane in 3ds - I think this will be easier to show the artdirector - "Look this is 16:9 & this is 4:3" I pulled them with a screen grab from AE so that there is no mix up - aspect ratio's title safe and action safe can get so confusing.

Thanks again

Comment

i guess the only way it makes sense is to deliver letterboxed 4:3
        that way you can design everything in 16:9 and add the black bars in post when resizing down to 4:3

(i assume you dont want to pan&scan for 4:3 as it can heavily change the looks and feel of the video)

Comment

Working...
        X