Running game from network dvd drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running game from network dvd drive?

I'm trying to get Call of Duty 2 to run on a computer on my network but the dvd drive is actually attached to a different computer on the network. I cant get it to load after installation. Any ideas?

I mapped the drive to the computer with the game but it still can't find the dvd drive. I'm not sure if this can even be done, I don't play many games. In fact, this is the only game I've ever purchased.

I don't have the dvd hooked up to the computer with the game because it's to far away from the dvd drive to make a connection. I have a home made box that I put all five of my computers in.

Tony

what happens when you try to run it?

I have a feeling that it wont work as it may need to verify the DVD and it may not be able to do that properly via the network.

You could of course get a NO-DVD crack which will allow you to play without the DVD this should be fine as you own the game.

Comment

Thanks DaForce, I think your probably right that it won't work via the network. When I try to start the game it keeps asking me to load the proper dvd into the drive, but it can't find the networked drive. I can install whatever I need to any of the five computers so I was hoping this would work

Like I said this is my first PC game and I'm running it on XP-64. I installed it on the computer with the dvd hooked up to it and it runs fine under XP-64. I wasn't sure it would. But my good video card is on the other computer. Your suggestion may be the only solution in my situation.

Oh , the game is really cool!! I just want to run it on the good card.

Comment

If you play multiplayer, you don't need the DVD
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

no problem
          Yeah its worth playing on a good video card.
          Single player is fantastic... so immersing.

MP is good as well, but i would recommend SP all the way thru.

Comment

Youre first pc game! man you got a lotta catching up to do. Below is a list of recommended first person shooter games in no particular order

Halflife2
            Farcry
            Fear
            Call of Duty2
            Battlefield2

Also try games from other genres like

Max payne2
            Knights of the old republic
            X3

Hmm so little time sooo many games and vray too

Colin

Comment

Youre first pc game! man you got a lotta catching up to do. Below is a list of recommended first person shooter games in no particular order

Halflife2
              Farcry
              Fear
              Call of Duty2
              Battlefield2

Max payne2
              X3

Colin

Comment

Halflife2
                Farcry
                Fear
                Call of Duty2
                Battlefield2

Max payne2
                X3

Colin

Comment

Galactus - Yea, I know I'm way behind the times when it comes to playing games. I've just never been interested in them. But now with these kick as computers we have today, they can be amazing.

Sadly, my internet connection is by satelite with Direcway. No other connection available where I live. So I can't play multiplayer games over the net because of the time lag with satelite. That sucks!

I guess I'll add another dvd player to my cabinet so I can connect it to my game computer. Not much money but a pain in the butt to add to my render box.

Tony

Comment

For purely amazing experiences, I recommend 'Half-Life 2' and 'Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion.' You really can't go wrong with those two.

You can also find a bunch of no-cd patches at www.gamecopyworld.com
                    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Sorry about those multi posts, i was getting an error message with a debug thingymajig, but seems they went through in the end did not think they did

Comment

In fact it just happened again here is what i got.......

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
                        File : emailer.php

Is this just me or are we all getting this message after a post?

Colin

Comment

We are all getting it - just click on the directory path above the posts and itll take you out of that 'debug' message.
                          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

or close the tab you juste opened for replying in firefox

Comment

Thanks for the info on the no-cd patch, it works great! I looked for one yesterday when DaForce recomended it but the one I downloaded didn't work. Thanks again. This saves me a lot of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X