No announcement yet.

boot camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this is great for me. My office is mostly a Mac office, because they first started drafting on a Mac in 1986... We've considered switching to Windows, but for 50 people, the cost of all new software licenses, plus the loss of backwards compatibility with our built-up library of past projects and details would be catastrophic. Besides, management is easily confused, and we can handle the IT aspect with one part-time consultant. A Windows network would require someone fulltime for our size.

But to get back to why I said this was good for me. When these machines start getting older, it will be easy for me to snag them into a renderfarm. It also becomes easier to turn them into servers for various network tasks. Or, as they get a bit too old for drafting/photoshop work, they can be pushed over to the accounting department who are all on Windows, but don't need very fast machines. It also lets us standardize our hardware even more because we can easily swap out a "PC Desktop" that is having hardware problems with parts from the "Mac Desktop".

Oh, and in case you were wondering, we did the math on switching off Mac to Windows.

50 workstations = $75k
    New Windows software licenses since most software companies won't let you switch or upgrade your Mac license to a Windows license = $100k. Since most software we use or need is cross-platform (and even more will be as the Intel Macs saturate the Mac market), there just isn't a good reason for us to switch to a Windows environment. Even if we did switch to Windows, we would need to keep some Macs in the office for backwards compatibility, and to provide certain key people with the tools they need. Likewise, we will never be a Mac-only shop as long as various pieces of our accounting setup, and Max, need Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ene.xis
      well....
      this is more likely:
      http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=E1705S4&s=dhs
      $ 1,796
      vs.
      http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nNB9sME/2.?p=0
      $ 1,999.00

note:
      in this sunny side tip of the europe prices tend to vary a little from everywhere else...and taxes really cut our rists and throughts, so this is only to try to make a point....the price gap is now very narrow when u compare similar products!
      and u can t neglect the design arousment....i would never fell proud to show up the dell around... ....or could i?hummm
      hehehe
      Not to argue, but...

for the same config w/ T2600's (2.16 GHz) 1 GB mem 100GB HDD the Apple is $2,799.00 + $250 for Windows and the Dell $1,993 in US$. True the apple is prettier and if it is worth it to you go for it I am not trying to stop you I am just cheap when it comes to hardware.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

[quote="RErender"]
        Originally posted by ene.xis
        I am just cheap when it comes to hardware.
        so am i....
        or at least i try....

hehehe
        yeah....and ur probbably right....
        Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
        nuno@ene-digital.com
        00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
        X