Windows 64 bit and Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 64 bit and Max

We are ordering new render nodes in our office.
    We're not quite sure if we should order them with win XP (32 bit) or XP64 bit. (we currently are running XP 32 bit and server 2003)

The manufacture cautions me that Max may not have the proper drivers available to run under the 64 bit environment. I've read posts here where people are running both 32 bit and 64 bit nodes without problems. My question is, did you have to install a driver to get Max to run under the 64 bit env. or what kind of special installation (if any) was necesarry?

I went back and read Vlado's 64 bit thread that stated the stand alone 32 bit Vray is significantly faster than the Max connection, and the 64 bit Stand alone was a little faster that the 32 bit SA.

I'm leaning toward waiting until MS releases Vista to go 64 bit. I just can't see a big advantage to use XP 64 bit right now.... .....unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Any opinions/ experience anyone could share would be appreciated.

thanks
    Bret

No problems here or special install needs for Max on an XP64 machine. The 64bit version of Vray is not available yet.

Comment

Yea, beleive me, I know Vray 64 bit isn't out yet.
      I've followed all the threads about the "1.5" release.

I'm really wondering what the advantages are right now for a 64 bit platform?
      Bret

Comment

The advantages now are a little more memory headroom and future proofing.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

The only mentionable advantage I've seen (with regards to Max/VRay) is that you don't have to set the /3g switch in XP64. It's automatic functionality in the 64bit versions of Windows.

Comment

No problems here, installing max on 64bit, agree with the memory advantages of 64bit though, but i recon for render slaves, if your not going to use more than a couple of gig of memory, i would'nt really bother with 64bit just go XP Pro.

Comment

Has anyone tried benchmarking a machine before and after the 3GB switch?

I have heard various oppinions that it won't always speed up rendering times, but you can crunch more geometry.
              Bret

Comment

Working...
              X