Twisting Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisting Pipe

A little off topic but Im hoping that someone has achieved something similar. I cant upload an image from my office so Ill explain the best I can.

Im trying to animate a oil well drilling simulation and have to show the drill pipe twisting back and forth. The problem is I have to show the first third of the pipe twisting, the middle third of the pipe stationary and the last third of the pipe twisting. Ive tried adjusting the gizmo limits but I need a large length of the pipe stationary and tried stacking a couple twist modifiers but have had horrific results...

According to the "engineer" this is what is happening and I have to some how get this pipe to twist on either end and not in the middle.

Kinda like below

Thanks,

-dave
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

try meshselect modifier then use softselection to select the outer pipe parts then throw on the twist modifier?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

work with an editable spline object instead of a cylinder and animate the vertices?

Comment

The twist modifier also has a limitation group. You could just slap two twist modifiers on a cylinder and limit one to the one end and the other to the other end...advantage would be that you could animate the borders between stationary and twisted if needed.

Thorsten

Comment

Tkx for the input guys, Im trying all of them. My other problem that I didnt mention is that the amount of pipe thats twisting needs to be animated also, Ill try to show the start and finish below.

Start of the ani:

<--twist--><---------------still--------------><--twist-->

End of the ani:

<----------twist------------><---still---><-----twist----->

So the amount of twisting on the pipe has to be animated also.

Im actually thinking of using animated maps to achieve this or even render 3 pipes and combine in post, as most of my attempts at animating the geometry have failed.

Any other ideas in the mean time are greatly appreciated.

-dave
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

3 individual cylinders with animated slice??? animate the vertices with soft selection (as I imagine max twist is at each end)

Tom
            Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Well, exactly as instinct said. Use 2 twist modifiers and animated their borders/affect area.

Comment

Working...
              X