Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gigbit stability?

Hi guys,
    my gigabit switch is kinda flacky. I loose connection once or twice a day, and for 3 days long rendering (backburber) it's a big deal.

What hardware would make a more stable local network (5 machines)?

Raccomandations? Experiences?

thank you

regards

gio

I have always been a fan of Netgear, but they are more "consumer" grade. That being said I have used alot of their 100mb switches and their GB switches without any problems.
    There are plenty of business grade switches but they are alot more $$$ and in most circumstances alot more than you will be needing.

Make sure you are using CAT6 cables to ensure proper data flow. Even tho a mate and I can get over 70MB/s transfer over standard CAT5 cables

When the network goes down, how long is it down for? Can you ping and of the machines on the network?

Comment

Cheaper gigabit swtiches should provide more than adequate stability and speed. A switch, unless there is a problem with it, should never drop out a connection.

I'd be inclined to firstly check your cabling. Poor cabling/interference can result in a bad connection.

Any run of-the-mill gigabit switch should suffice, however depending on the application a higher quality switch might be a good idea, primarily due to their lifespan. We've got a 24 port Netgear in our office, cost about $1200AU at the time but it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Cat5e cabling is more than sufficient for a 10/100/1000 network, however I doubt your ability to run it on standard Cat5.

Cheers.
      -- DJ

Comment

I second DaForce. Our whole office is run over Netgear's business class managed switches. Easy to setup and very reliable. I've had good luck with their consumer products at home as well.

On a side note, I've tried linksys from time to time thinking they be good. (they are owned by Cisco). I've consistently had high failure rates.

Comment

On my gigabit at home Im running 2 D-Link swiches and they have been running great for 2 years with no problems on cat6 cable.

-dave
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I think Dell has probably the best business class switches:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...555&l=en&s=biz
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
              I think Dell has probably the best business class switches:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...555&l=en&s=biz
              Arnt those just netgear switches with Dell's name stamped on them?
              Cheers,
              -dave
              ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I'm running a cheap Airlink 10/100/1000 8-port switch ($39us), that I have yet to drop a connection on 7 computers, running 8 months straight. I always buy brand new network cables any time I buy a new machine. Cables will go out much faster than the switch will. I'm running cat5e, which as stated earlier is fine for gigabit.

However, it could be a faulty switch, none the less.

Comment

Arnt those just netgear switches with Dell's name stamped on them?
                  Could be. If that's the case then just go buy Netgear They were recommended to me from a friend who worked on the Gate's security system. I just trust his opinion in these matters.

As for myself, I'm running a SMC switch with Jumbo Packets. It has excellent reviews and seems to be working rather well.

Comment

I'm willing to be your delivering your textures off of a computer that you're also rendering from - which is causing the disconnectivity. Trust me on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
                      I'm willing to be your delivering your textures off of a computer that you're also rendering from - which is causing the disconnectivity. Trust me on this one.
                      that would do it also. I had similar issues and now have a seperate server for my scenes/maps and one for my renders.

-dave
                      Cheers,
                      -dave

Comment

same here

---------------------------------------------------
                        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

We just got this one. Is it any good? I am not sure how to decipher all the tech. specs. It's not gigabit is it? How much of a difference will it really make?

http://www1.linksys.com/products/pro...id=556&scid=39
                          Tim Nelson
                          timnelson3d.com

Comment

No. It's 10/100 or megabits. You want 1000. That'll be $50 Paypal to my hotmail account since youre working for a monster company and can afford to do so.

Comment

Haha, not sure about the 'monster' part. We are only about 8 right now.

We just spent some big $$ for a whole new rack server setup and I'm wondering how much having only a 10/100 switch is going to affect the network performance, and how noticeable of a difference it would be.

I guess I'm really wondering, do I make a fuss about this now, or later?
                              Tim Nelson
                              timnelson3d.com

Comment

Working...
                              X