Holiday Book Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Book Suggestion

I'm going for a well deserved holiday soon and would like to take a couple of books to read in the sun.

Any suggestions ?

n
    www.morphic.tv
    www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Hmm, there are a lot of books out there what do you like, lite fair, deep pros, murder mayhem, self help (heheh) ?

I just read Dean Koontz's Velocity - Not his best, but a page turner at times.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

If you have read the Davinci Code (seems most have) try Angels and Demons - IMO a better read!

Comment

Something with a storyline that doesn't require alot of thinking.

Anything that anyone has found interesting.
        www.morphic.tv
        www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

heavy, but funny, book that requires a lot of thinking: Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

lovely book that is curious and entertaining: Life of Pi - Yann Martel

if you want to read a literary conspiracy theory based in the middle ages: Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco (shun that Brown feller)
          [or try hippy conspiracy theory : Illuminatus!]
          um, I think I prefer heavy books..

just go for Life of Pi

Comment

Befor I got married (about 10 years ago) when I still had time for a book, not a manual, I read Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson and really liked it.

Comment

The Witching Hour by Ann Rice was great. Spans 400 years of history about a family of witches.
              http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

i read a lot. it helps to train your visual imagination.
                the best book i EVER read was "a deepness in the sky" i think its from vernor vinge. its a Sci-Fi book but nothing like the startrek/wars stuff. very realistic and has a brilliant plot.
                Reflect, repent and reboot.
                Order shall return.

Comment

My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell. GREAT holiday read

Comment

I'd say Clive Cussler is ideal for Holiday reading...lots of exotic places not TOO much thinking involved and some great action

Thorsten

Comment

Re: Holiday Book Suggestion

Originally posted by Infrared digital
                      I'm going for a well deserved holiday soon and would like to take a couple of books to read in the sun.

Any suggestions ?

n
                      me too! where are you going?

i can recommend Flashman on the March by George MacDonald Fraser, any of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child or any Terry Pratchett book.

Comment

i also like to read a lot - while i was on holiday last week i read a few books, the best one was probably american gods by neil gaimen - funny and pretty strange but good story.

my favourite author has to be kurt vonnegut - if you have a warped sence of humour any of his books are well worth a read!

i read a book called house of leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski a while ago - probably the strangest book i've read from a typographic point of view but definitely worth the effort - might be a bit heavy to take on holiday though! it's a biiiiiig book!
                        when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

Thanks for your replies - I will be looking into your suggestions later today !

Nik, I am going to Santorini in Greece. Incidentially, I'm getting married there and have heard that it is really nice.

I'm also taking my kite surfing gear but, in the eventuality that there is no wind - a couple of good books should see the 2 weeks through.

Where are you off to ?
                          www.morphic.tv
                          www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

sweet. it is very nice there, although i haven't been since '98. congrats on the wedding, you should have spectacular photos!

me, i'm off to sharm el sheik again. i have a deck chair by the pool bar with my name on it!

Comment

A good alternative to a good book would be an excellent ebook. Plenty of them in one lightweight device and extremely easy to carry ! Got a palm or a smartphone? Try it! Holding books in your hands will be primitive after u get used to reading this way!
                              My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                              Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                              Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

Working...
                              X