Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Reactor

Hi,
    i'am trying to animate the strawberry using reactor, simple fall down from the off on top onto the groundplane.
    i've try'd it using softbody dynamics, but max crashes everytime calculating the strawberry. i have the strawberry, and a small branch, which have to be attached on it. so now i've switched the strawberry to hardbody, but want the branch to be "elastic". so using softbody.(i've also try'd with a simple flex modifyer, but it want work with reactor, cause he allways calculate from the pivot, wich i can't animate with reactor).
    the branch is attached with a hinge constraint, but for using it, the branch have to be included into the hardbody dynamics, and can't included in both, hard and softbody.

here a little visual help:

any ideas?
    best regards
    Jonas
    Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
    www.shack.de

Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
    www.shack.de

Comment

i cant offer help. but i would say that sliiight softbodies on the strawberry would look great especially with some nice slow motion hehe

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

yes the slow motion - no problem

i've try'd it now, calculated only the SB with reactor (Hardbody), linked the branch on it, and added a flex on it. but it looks more like a frozen or stone-aged strawberry.
        Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
        www.shack.de

Comment

Have u considered the possibility of creating a low res strawberry proxy for simulation? It must be accurate enough to work when using the full res model, but apart from that i don´t see any other difficulties...Reactor lets u use a proxy instead of the real geometry under object properties.
          My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
          Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
          Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

ditto!

Lele

Comment

aaah.
              sounds good. it have to be the same mesh optimized?
              Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
              www.shack.de

Comment

if you model a strawberry with enough mesh to see some nice softbody squishing on the strawberry then isnt there a modifyer to let you use a low res model to drive a high res model. i forget the modifyer name.

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Have you tried simcloth? Just a thought.
                  "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
                  -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

when i collapse the strawberry, put on an optimize modifyer, collapse again, and use it as proxi? but normaly it has to have the same amount of vertices or?

i can't test it at the moment, but yes, simcloth is another option.
                    Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
                    www.shack.de

Comment

If you use reactor then you can simply parent your high res fruit to the proxy one and sim with the proxy. Simcloth actually animates the vertices for an object rather than using position and rotation which is a little annoying - if this is a problem I've written a script to track low res to high res objects to get around this.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnybefree
                        when i collapse the strawberry, put on an optimize modifyer, collapse again, and use it as proxi?
                        Optimise modifiers make your mesh ugly as sin, the faces need to be pretty evenly spaced.

Just get a cube and edit it until its the right shape, should be going for about 1k polys with that, maybe a few more.

Not done this with soft bodies so I dont know how the deforming translates to a high poly mesh, but I would imagine it would work seeing as thats a major part of it rendered useless if it doesnt.

Comment

yes the strawbery as a proxy is indeed a way to go. I would also suggest not to use softbodies, but rather, make a rig of the branch using bones and spline ik, then using reactor rope with quite stiff attributes onto the spline ik. You can the pin the end point of the branch to the strawbery and let it fly. I also suggest setting your frame samples from 10 to 30-50 and rope collection samples around same value. This will produce precision in simulaiton but will slow it down so be careful. With such setup you also dont need a hinge constraint, this makes it a bit simpler.
                          Dmitry Vinnik
                          Silhouette Images Inc.
                          ShowReel:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Whatever happens you must show us the animation

I think Morbid's idea is pretty good... well worth a shot!

Comment

thanks alot for all your tips
                              i will try it with the proxi, have allready done the setup for it
                              nice idea with the bone setup morbid.

havn't time today but hope the weekend will bring the light.
                              Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
                              www.shack.de

Comment

Working...
                              X