Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jealous at the mental ray 3.5 shaders

http://download.autodesk.com/global/...ents_large.mov

so they have skylight now...integrated with the max daylight system...
    not bad, but we got that too
    although not as elegant.

but the mr shader interface looks really NICE.
    it looks like most parameters in the UI make sense. i can't say that about the vray material.
    and that rounded corners stuff...looks like f-edge but better...
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Yeah I like the rounded edge stuff too, and the per/shader ambient occlusion.

Comment

the preset shaders do look good.....nothing that cant be done with the vray material now
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

The mr shaders do look very good, I like reflections tweak where you can
        adjust the resolution of the reflections independent of the frame size.

Comment

am not too impressed actually...everything looks pretty familiar...everything looks a bit taken from vray...interpolated glossies ? vray does that...and tho it doesnt have the "Half resolution" Dropdown you can still set it via the min/max samples for interpolated glossies, wich does the same thing just more flexible...or am i off the track there ???

Thorsten

Comment

they do look really good - but no need to be jelous - they'll ship with the next release of max!

Comment

Autodesk presented MR at the Adesk Party. They did a lot of work on Mental Ray - especially in regards to the shaders. It also looked like they took a lot of features from Vray - notably their Frame Buffer - but again this was seen at a distance and no one got to poke around much.

Their sun system is based on the SIGGRAPH research papers - similar looking to all the sun systems within the current renderers. The one thing I really liked about it is that the sun is actually visible.
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

i think its pretty awesome. good to see mentalray actually attempting to compete with the other renderers regarding the 'latest' stuff. I couldn't be more excited about the built in toggle for the AO and edge smoothness. Of course I dont use MR, but I see no reason why vlado couldn't include those in the material, so I dont have to use global overrides (very inflexible) and replacing entire mats with AO (also rather inflexible.)

Oh and I cant wait to see people start using the dirt pass in their workflows. Its totally changed how we do things where I work. I absolutely LOVE creating low quality, very blurred irradiance maps that render fast, render with NO blotches or noise, and just use dirt pass for the finer GI shading.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                  Oh and I cant wait to see people start using the dirt pass in their workflows. Its totally changed how we do things where I work. I absolutely LOVE creating low quality, very blurred irradiance maps that render fast, render with NO blotches or noise, and just use dirt pass for the finer GI shading.
                  could you eleborate please ? seems hot though I do not really understand. thanks
                  http://www.3dna.be

Comment

Yeah, the round corners option looks handy. Would really help out our archvis stuff. I know it's just a fake bevel or chamfer, but chamfering every edge in a house is tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by gilpo
                      Yeah, the round corners option looks handy. Would really help out our archvis stuff. I know it's just a fake bevel or chamfer, but chamfering every edge in a house is tedious.
                      Chaos made a similar plugin years ago that does the same thing, cant remember the name atm though...

-dave
                      Cheers,
                      -dave
                      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone1
                        Chaos made a similar plugin years ago that does the same thing, cant remember the name atm though...

-dave
                        f-edge...but it's slow and a bit annoying.
                        Marc Lorenz
                        ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                        www.marclorenz.com
                        www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_
                          Originally posted by Syclone1

-dave
                          f-edge...but it's slow and a bit annoying.
                          thats the one, and Im not sure if it works well with v-ray either
                          Cheers,
                          -dave
                          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Re: jealous at the mental ray 3.5 shaders

Originally posted by plastic_
                            so they have skylight now...integrated with the max daylight system...
                            not bad, but we got that too
                            not yet
                            www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Videos

Where are you guys getting these feature video's from - I tried routing around the autodesk site and can't seem to find them.

Thanks as always

Comment

Working...
                              X