Mental ray demo at siggraph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental ray demo at siggraph

I was wondering if anyone that attended Siggraph this year could comment on the new Mentalray. My boss was there and saw the demo
    and was quite impressed.

Regards,
    Mike
    http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Well, it does look quite interesting, you can render passes only, so a few secs to change the reflections of stuff, but keeping color and shadows.. workflow seems impressive.

(but everytime they show something, it is always wowwww, that's the show)
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

I only spotted it briefly (at the end of a talk) but the thing that stuck out most in my mind was that you could control the sample rate of objects in reflections seperately.. so you can do a LOD on blurry reflections.. to have different objects reflect differently into the same reflection..

Fuck that makes no sense when i try and read it back oh well, suffice it to say it looked nifty!
      Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

I think they ripped a lot off ideas from Vray. It looks good with some interesting new features - but it still doesn't match this.
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by dbuchhofer
            I only spotted it briefly (at the end of a talk) but the thing that stuck out most in my mind was that you could control the sample rate of objects in reflections seperately.. so you can do a LOD on blurry reflections.. to have different objects reflect differently into the same reflection..

Fuck that makes no sense when i try and read it back oh well, suffice it to say it looked nifty!
            As menntioned in another thread vray does that too. When using Glossiies, and interpolation you can set min/max rates in the interpolation rollout...wich is just the same.

Thorsten

P.S. and vray does it since quite a while, sooooo go figure :P

Comment

I think they ripped a lot off ideas from Vray. It looks good with some interesting new features - but it still doesn't match this.
              Alain Blanchette
              www.pixistudio.com

Comment

yea, i didn't think the concept would come through correctly

this is the opposite... for instance, you have a floor with a reflection, for each object reflected in that floor, you can set a different 'quality' of what that objects' reflection will look like.
                Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Working...
                X