Anybody have problems with Windows x64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have problems with Windows x64

I know this is not really a V-Ray problem, but I was wondering if any other users have experienced the same thing as me. I have a new Alienware PC with an AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core processor and 2GB RAM. It came with Windows XP home, but I installed Windows XP x64 instead. I am running Max 8, service pack 3, with V-Ray installed. The problem is the PC randomly restarts, of course this happens at the most critical times when you don't want it too! Max is open when this happens. Any clues?

i dont have any probems at all with win xp x64... did you installed the latest updates ?
    www.short-cuts.de

Comment

I've got automatic updates on...maybe I need to update the bios on my motherboard or something?

Comment

this looks more like a hardware problem, ive been running x64 with max8 at home, but never had a restart problem..

Comment

yup, maybe there is something wrong with the power supply or the cpu fan which can cause the pc to shutdown...
          www.short-cuts.de

Comment

yeah, sounds more like a hardware problem then a software. Oh and give it some more memory man. your totally wasting the 64bit goodness with 2gb of memory.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Or it could be that the memory you do have it faulty. On the last computer I got, the computer would crash/restart mostly when just sitting idle or moving around in Max. After replacing all the memory, the problem was solved.
              Tim Nelson
              timnelson3d.com

Comment

depending on when you got the system you might have gotten one of the Dell Alienware systems. i believe its the dell factor thats got you messed up

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I have a x64 computer right now which was rebooting randomly due to faulty memory. Try taking out a stick and see how it runs. Then try swapping them.
                  LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                  HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                  Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I have been having a problem with x64.
                    Random system freezes of about 5 seconds long. Happens when the system is pretty busy.... but I wouldn't expect the OS to freeze completely (mouse pointer stops responding, audio get stuck in a loop).

Similar problem when using the dvd drive, except the system freezes for as long as its trying to access data from the drive.

I think its something to do with the peripherals controller stopping the background processes from continuing.... I've got all the latest drivers, bios updates etc.... but I still haven't managed to fix it.

The eventlog shows this error. "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.
                    "

Any ideas?
                    Patrick Macdonald
                    Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

How much memory do you have? If it corrects itself I wouldn't say its a hardware issue - just windows... When I upgraded to 4 gigs the freezes ocurred less and less.

Comment

4gb
                        Patrick Macdonald
                        Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

thank goodness the extra money i spend getting a boxx meant i dont have to have these worries

---------------------------------------------------
                          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

mine is a boxx!
                            Patrick Macdonald

Comment

Well - I'd upgrade the BIOS and some of the perhiperal drivers - sounds like there is some bottleneck happening there. If your concern is memory, run a memtest but be aware those take a while and don't always work properly.

Also check out your tasks and see what apps are running in the background. I had Nvidia's video mirroring on (for watching a movie on my television) which was causing my computer to crawl.

Comment

Working...
                              X