Direct3d vs OpenGL please explain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct3d vs OpenGL please explain...

I have a GeForce 7900GT and I noticed that when using the latest NVIdia OpenGL drivers with 3DS max my computer often restarts. What happens is that when Max is minimised and I try to restore Max to fullscreen the PC hangs for about a second and then the PC restarts. I notice that this does not happen if I use the Direct3D drivers. I have traditionally always used the OpenGL drivers for Max, but I am interested to know the difference between OpenGL and Direct3D, the pros and cons, etc. and if anyone has experienced similar problems to me. I am running Max8 SP3 on Windows XP x64.

for a start

latest NVIdia OpenGL
    You're supposed to use the latest CERTIFIED ones, not the latest beta stuff, or even the latest whql ones. check nvidia's partner page to find out what the latest cert drivers are for your apps.

Secondly you got a consumer level graphics card, and all the geforce series perform better in Direct3d mode in max (mainly due to mesh caching abilities). Mind you that wire performance is pretty bad, but shaded performance should be okay.

Thorsten

Comment

I am having the same problem with a new mid-range workstation that I'm breaking in. It has a Geforce 7900 GTX and it occasionally hangs, freezes, then bluescreen crashes. Me and my IT guy believe this to be a 64 bit driver issue, in combination with XP64 and dual cores.

Our current workaround is this: re-install the earliest base drivers for the card. Turn down graphics acceleration to the middle setting which disables acceleration for DirectX. Work in OpenGL mode.

We are still having problems, but less frequently. Next we are going to reinstall all the motherboard drivers to the earliest available. All the onboard things like NIC and chipset are NVIDIA as well.

We think that NVIDIA just hasn't been able to write proper 64 bit drivers yet. Go here and look under releas 90 driver issues:
      http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/9...Notes_WHQL.pdf

We had similar problems a couple months ago with a dual opeteron with a Quadro card, but with a few tweaks we were able to make it stable.
      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

I'm running in 64-bit and I have a Quadrofx4500 in my main WS....before I was using OpenGL (a lot problems). Now, I'm using DirectX with excellent results...for me It's faster and stable.
        show me the money!!

Comment

Same problem here, i down graded the gfx driver to a release 7 one (77.77), was on a release 9 driver

Comment

I have a 7800 GT and running everything fine on x64. I don't think it's a driver issue that youre having crashes but then again I'm not running a 7900. I'm also using D3D as its much faster than openGL with this card.
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

@redi: after a bit more research we realized the problem had to do with the NVIDIA release 9 drivers and dual cores. They get confused when encountering the dual core. The release 7 drivers don't have this problem because they only recognize a single core. Downgrading to 7 solved the problem with my 6 month old Quadro card on another machine.

However the Geforce 7900 does not have release 7 drivers. Instead we did a couple registry tweaks to prevent the displays from trying to use dual core. I haven't had a freeze or crash all afternoon. Give it a try.

If this remains stable, maybe I can even try D3d again...
              "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies! This helps

Comment

Working...
                X