What to do with an old computer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with an old computer...

What can I do with an old computer - it makes me sad but I think it's seen it's day. Specs:

MSI A6593CMS
    Athlon XP 2000
    1GB PC2100
    5400 RPM 10 gig HD

Media center? Texture storage? Donation? Any ideas? Or do you think it'll still work somehow. I think it may adversely effect DR.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

You could run a nice little linux media center on their quite well, but your video card would need video out (obviously)

http://geexbox.org/

Comment

Wow, I think thats the same system I had at work just a few years ago. It was crap back then, so I say just chuck it!

Either that or you could use it as an email and music machine. You could also use it as a basic photoshop or autocad machine while you are rendering. Or it could be your Vray forum machine while you are rendering.
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

my internet computer is my old p3 450 with 256mb ram. the p3 450 was a damn stable chip i must say. Old systems are ok for net rendering even if they are slow. ive got 5 simple processor intel celeronD2.8GHz machines all with 2gb ram and all running pretty well.

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

We have computers slower than that still being used as workstations... and even slower ones as servers.

Turn it into a rendernode, or make it the backburner manager for a renderfarm. Hell, even running it as a fileserver is a great use.

Comment

Sell to (or give to) a friend that needs one. Most of my old computer parts get shunted to my friends at 25-40% current market value when I'm done with them. You make a bit of fun money, and they get a better computer.

I actually just gave away my old dual 1900+ MP!
            http://www.3estudios.net

Comment

Donate it to someone who would be happy ! A child maybe

Best regards,
              nikki Candelero
              .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

give it to charity dude, it will make you feel good
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

does charity trade for rum? that would make me feel good hehe

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

dork
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Or me!

(On a serious note, I vote media center - theres a lot you can do with a dedicated machine for it)

Comment

Thanks guys. Media storage or Media center sounds like a possibilty. Media center if I plan on getting an Xbox 360. Altho - you think that's enough for serving textures? I'd have to replace the HD.

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
                          Thanks guys. Media storage or Media center sounds like a possibilty. Media center if I plan on getting an Xbox 360. Altho - you think that's enough for serving textures? I'd have to replace the HD.
                          Of course it's enough for a fileserver... you'd be suprised how "old" the hardware is that runs most websites and servers. You don't need much if you aren't using it as a workstation.

Comment

You could use it for media or as a server quite easily.
                            www.morphic.tv
                            www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

You supppose 1 gig RAM is enough to serve textures to a network?

Note - just replaced the 10 gig 5400 RPM hard drive and it seems alot faster lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X