Digital SLR ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital SLR ?

We are looking to purchase a digital SLR camera (approx 12 mega pixels) to take photos for photomontages, textures etc...Has anyone got any recommendations on camera and lenses ?

thanks

N
    www.morphic.tv
    www.niallcochrane.co.uk

check this: http://dpreview.com/

Comment

I can only really reccomend what ive used, but a Canon 20d, 50mm prime for textures and 10-22mm for montages will do the job nicley. Maybe some extra lenses if you want more room.

Comment

www.dpreview.com as stated above is a great resource for finding a DSLR camera or any other type of digital camera...

I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (400d in europe) and love it it has a great set of features and the new larger LCD is nice also, it is only about 10 mega pixels though...

-dave
        Cheers,
        -dave
        ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

my Nikon D70 is great. i think the new version is the D80 out now/soon.

Comment

I think the only two bodies will be 12 or higher will be the Nikon D2x (12mp), and the Canon 1Ds mark II (16mp)

There are others that are pretty close to 12mp (original canon 1Ds, the 5D, and I think the 400d are all about 10-11mp)

There might be some obscure kodak body that has 12mp as well, but I wouldn't suggest looking at that one.

One thing you might want to look at instead of shelling out thousands for a pro body, is stitching. You can easily stitch a set of textures from a 6mp camera that would blow away a single shot from a 12 or 16mp pro body. But just as easily, you could stitch with the pro-bodies as well.

I have used (and owned) alot of the canon bodies (from d60 to 1Ds2) and used quite a few of the nikon bodies as well. If you have more questions feel free to send me an email, or just reply back here.

As far as lenses go, that depends on how much you want to spend. For the best quality, I'd stick with primes (fixed focal length), but for textures, you would probably be better off with a zoom.
            www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

The Canon EOS 400D is nearly what we are after when considering the cost/resolution combination. The 5D is again more expensive and closer to what we ultimately need but I think we will wait a bit longer until the resolution/cost is more favourable.

thanks for your help.

N
              www.morphic.tv
              www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Just wondering but, what size do you create your images at if its a standard project ?

A3 @ 300dpi is 4961x3508. This has a direct relationship to which camera we get if the camera is to provide this number of pixels, it needs to be about 16mega pixels if the background photos are to be taken in one go.
                www.morphic.tv
                www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X