• Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good unknown
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

i havent tested this yet. but maybe if you used a noise map with a large size in the gravity slot (we need a bend slot in furs map section) then use a vray color map in the bend direction (to make them bend in the same way) then rather than animate the phase of the noise animate the offset of the noise map. this will make the grass bend in waves like how it does in reality. using the map slots you could get it looking fairly nice id imagine

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

a strand thickness spinner would be good too, one for the base of the strand and one for the tip
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

the trick to good animated grass is the rolling effect. which you cant do in max easily. I read somehwhere that the wind from an old cloth plugin had that effect, but i couldnt find it.
          i guess a hack would be wind with falloff, rolling over the grass field.
          Freelance TD/Generalist
          http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

you mean rolling like a wave ? you could do it using my method im guessing. rather than animating the phase of the noise you animate the offset of the noise

---------------------------------------------------
            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

sorry da-elf, didnt read you post. I guess that could work. The main problem is the shielding issue, and the edies or vortexs that a field of grass creates for itself. Its a tough nut to crack.
              shrek films have some great rolling green hills. so it can be done.
              when i get some time, I might dig some old scenes I have lying around trying to simulate that very effect. That was back in the days of shag hair.
              Freelance TD/Generalist
              http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

VrayFur can't be linked to Wind though can it?

Comment

you brought this thread back to life that that post.. haha

Anyway, no it cant. They are talking about the max built in hair/fur system.

Comment

you used to be able to do this in max 5 with a plugin called grass o matic. It was a really good plugin but sadly it wasnt updated for any of the newer max builds
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I haven't really used it but there is http://www.antiflash.net/supergrass/download.html
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

nice find eric

Comment

Anyway, no it cant. They are talking about the max built in hair/fur system.
                          yeah, sadly i know.
                          This has got to be added to the wishlists..... just got to be...

For nowi'm trying to offset a noise map as suggested - little tricky toget the effect i want....

Shave and haircut isn't included with max though? I couldn't find it anywhere, not even in the helpfiles..... is it renamed or something in max9?

Comment

I dont think it will be possible as its created at rendertime.. kind like displacement.
                            But you never know.

Yeah its just called hair and fur i think. Shave and a haircut was its name when it was a plugin.

Just go to the RENDERING menu then down to EFFECTS, click on ADD and choose HAIR AND FUR.
                            Make sure to set it to geometry mode.

Comment

Working...
                            X