X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdi
    Originally posted by jacksc02
    or you could just use the rounded edges option in mental ray 3.5
    that wouldnt work with vray though...or would it?
    no it wouldnt work.......
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Also, the MR edge fillet tool is built into the material only as a bump enhancement. f-Edge is a seperate map that can be used anywhere. It actually makes for a great mask in the diffuse slot for a number of reasons...it is too bad the MR tool does not alloow for this...

One solution for the open edge issue is to Shift+Drag the open edge a very slight amount (typically in a direction that will not be seen). It only takes another face present, regaurdless of its size to generate the smoothing information.

f-Edge is a great tool at a great price. But it has been a long while since it has had any sort of update. Perhaps those of you who own/use it could pass some e-mails along to the developer to see if they might be interested in updating it?

Comment

Originally posted by charleyc
        f-Edge is a great tool at a great price. But it has been a long while since it has had any sort of update. Perhaps those of you who own/use it could pass some e-mails along to the developer to see if they might be interested in updating it?
        I contacted them this week about a max 9 upgrade. Ivan said they are having trouble debugging it for max 9 so a few weeks he thought.

Comment

Yeah I know, I have e-mailed him as well. That is really the main plugin I am really waiting on...I have it scattered through a lot of my files.

What I meant though, was an update to the plugin itself. It really hasn't changed since when I first got it for R4. There are a small handful of things that would be nice to see added/fixed. Last time I asked for them was, I think, in the R5 days. I forget what his exact response was at the time. But perhaps we could persuade him to find some time if we asked (nicely )

Comment

Hi.
            The "coloredge" plugin from ittosotf is great.
            When using the noise option the noise tiling is noticeble but since it works fine with "warptexture" plugin I can distort it later.
            It has no "edge selection" option only visible edges option so you have to hide all the interior edges.
            f-Edge is great in this aspect because it permit to have different f-edge maps for different edge selection and of course...you don't have to hide all your geometry.
            The f-edge noise seams like a funcion curve thought and since it doesn't work well with warptexture you can't control it efficiently.
            If you're writing them please ask for open edge painting and better noise or hability to work with warptexture plugin

Comment

Yeah, the Noise in f-Edge is good for very basic things, but to get something a little better, try nesting a Noise Map in a mix map

Mask - f-Edge with larger Radius
              Map1 - Noise
              Map2 f-Edge with small Radius

You can also use render to texture and generate image maps you can distort in PS or such. That is a way to get the edge effects after a Turbosmooth.

Comment

Working...
              X