Corrupted max files - my one big beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupted max files - my one big beef

Have any of you found any techniches that help to avoid corrupted max files?

I typically save different versions of the same scene in case I encounter a corrupted file (which always seems inevitable) but in my experience the more files I save of a scene, the more likely a chance for the next one to be corrupted.

I imagine a smart thing to do after the modeling phase would be to export the geometry as obj, and import it into a new scene. That might lengthen the time until I get corrupted.

It's the one thing in max that causes me frustration.
    Too damn inevitable!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-9AQNx9bRI
    (curse words inside)

I haven't had any Max file corruption problems since maybe Max 5 or so. Maybe its a hardware problem. A faulty stick of RAM or something...
    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

just use incremental save....

customise > Preferences > tick Increment on Save.

and clean out your project file when the job is invoiced for, leaving only the last file, or perhaps last couple of files.

Comment

I really hope its not hardware. I will start using incrimental saving.

This action I am doing is conituously crashing my max:
        I Extrude a curved line for curtains.
        And deform the mesh resulting from, with softselection.

I managed to create this object without crashing before and saved as a different file name. This file later became corrupted. Now, going back to the file before I created the curtains, I keep crashing when making them now.

Its like max remembers that it didnt like doing that from a future file and is treating previous versions by crashing them.

Dont know if this makes any sense..

Comment

It would be safe to say that for most ordinary people that deal with large scenes, this is a common occurence. Correct me if I'm wrong.
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

@ insleight: That doesn't sound like a corruption issue. Sounds more like you are running out of memory and Max is crashing. If you try to save during the crash, your file may become unrecoverable.
            "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

It would be safe to say that for most ordinary people that deal with large scenes, this is a common occurence. Correct me if I'm wrong.
              Maybe I've been lucky but I've been in my current job 5 years and most of my scenes end up over 100 Mb but I've never had a corrupt file other than when Max crashes and asks me if I want to save a copy. Most servers use fault tolerant RAID arrays of drives, I know ours do anyway. We've had drives become faulty but we've not lost any data.

Dan
              Dan Brew

Comment

Working...
              X